Looking for info to start raising meat chickens and turkeys.

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Jferlisi, May 15, 2011.

1. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Ok so my father and i are talking about starting to raise chickens and turkeys. I dont eat chicken cause i find it gross but i do eat turkey. So i would love to get some info.
    Can i keep them pined together or no? What breeds do you all suggest? should i hatch them and do it that way or should i just buy them as chicks? ummmm i cant think of anything else but if i forgot something and someone has info to add i would love to hear it. thanks john.

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    There is a very good chance that you won't find home raised chicken gross. It's not the same as store bought meat.

If you've never raised them before, I suggest that you buy chicks until you get the raising part of it learned, and then you can learn to hatch.

3. Jferlisi

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Quote:Well i dont eat chicken so ya, and i do raise my chickens for eggs so i got that down. Just never done them for meat.

4. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    you will find most of your answers on the turkey thread [​IMG]

5. Steph Martin

Steph Martin Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2011
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Hi. I raised five turkeys a couple years back. I got them at two weeks of age and kept them in a cardboard box in the house (with heat lamp) for a week. This was in June (Nova Scotia) so the weather was warming up nicely. Move them to a raised yard with attached housing. The whole thing was about 12 x 4. These guys grew to be 25 lbs by October. They are great fun and didn't want to do much other than eat and drink (like meat kings). The flavour was unlike any factory raised bird. I would have liked to free range them but too many coyotes and raccoons here for that. I hope this is helpful.[​IMG]

6. Steph Martin

Steph Martin Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2011
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Oh yeah. Also had the heat lamp in the turkey house for a couple weeks after moving them outside.

7. Jferlisi

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    ok thanks for the help. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by