1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Looking for information/experience with "Amber Links"

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Puddin Fluff, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    Our 4H pullet chain birds this year are going to be Amber Links. I have never seen or had experience with this "breed". We had red sex links and Leghorns before. I was just wondering what experiences any of you have had with these sex links. Also pictures if you have any. How is their nature, eggs, temperament, etc.

Thanks for any responses.

2. JetCat

JetCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    Sadly this years chick chain selections in this area weren't all that great to pick from, my daughter is signed up for black Australorps and EE.

the amber link are very good egg layers, but i never got huge eggs like i've seen others say they get, more of a medium size. they can be somewhat aggressive, color can vary a good bit depending on which combination you get. good luck with your chain!!

3. Puddin Fluff

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    Thank you. I am particularly interested in their temperament. I, personally, won't be getting any but I have, by default, become our counties "poultry expert" and have been getting all kinds of questions from others about them.

We have a lot of first timers signed up this year so I hope they get a good experience from them.

4. JetCat

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    temperament is hit and miss, it's more of an issue when trying to integrate. most first timers don't already have flocks and it shouldn't be an issue for them, but if you do have some squabbling just remind them how prolific of layers they are!!

5. Puddin Fluff

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    I do have several who have established flocks so it may be an issue for them if they keep some of the birds.

How are they for longevity? My red sex links were great layers the fist couple years (as designed) then they pretty much crashed and burned.

6. JetCat

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    the ones i had did great, first year of laying i don't think they missed a single day of laying, by 3 yrs old they were still producing 6-7 eggs a week, i sold them the following spring because someone wanted them more then i did $$ [​IMG]

7. Puddin Fluff

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    That is good to hear. Don't suppose you have any pics of them you can share?

8. JetCat

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    sorry i don't. they really aren't anything spectacular to look at (like most layers) so they didn't get photo opportunities like some of my breeding stock does.

9. Puddin Fluff

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    That's ok. I am planning a presentation for the local 4H clubs and thought I would include some. I am sure I can dig a few up.

10. JetCat

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    i went digging in some old pics on my PC and found one from when i was brooding them out, not the best quality picture tho.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by