Looking for information on a strain of RIR bantam.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BittyBanty, Nov 19, 2010.

1. BittyBanty

BittyBanty Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2010
    Albuquerque
    When I was a teen in the 70's (1976) and lived in the boonies in North Florida my parents drove hours to go get a trio of RIR Bantams from a breeder in Georgia. Lovely dark, dark red birds. I remember they paid a king's ransom for them back then, several hundred dollars. The little roo became my favorite chicken. His name was Colonel and he ruled the yard even over the large fowl. He sure was a cocky little guy!

Being that I turn 50 this year and have been thinking back over things I keep thinking about this little roo. I want more birds come spring and I really want some like him. So, for those that have been around chickens that long and know the breed, do you have any idea about really nice RIR bantams from that time and area? Can anyone help me find out about them? I am curious if they are still around and what ever became of those birds.

I'll be getting some RIR bantams from someplace so somebody point me at some nice ones!

Thanks Bunches!

2. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    NYreds and robert blosl have great bantam RIR

3. Robert Blosl

Robert Blosl Rest in Peace -2013

Mar 1, 2010
    Silverhill, Alabama
    That was most likely E W Reese Jr. in Thompson Gerogia. He is dead but his Rhode Island Reds live on. You may be able to get some chicks latter in the spring. When the breeding pens start producing. Her is a site that will show you some of the Red Bantams and large fowl that have been photographed in the last ten or fiveteen years. bob

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/7163_rir2.jpg

4. BittyBanty

BittyBanty Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2010
    Albuquerque
    Thank you so much, Bob. That name does ring a bell. I'll do some investigating and learn more about these birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by