Looking for Inspiration...Show me the layout of your coop :)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by PGRanch, Oct 9, 2012.

1. PGRanch

PGRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2012
    Northern California
    This is what I'm working with.

It is approximately 6 by 6 by 7 ft. I am 5'2 3/4" and I can stand up comfortably with almost a foot above me. All the cracks will be sealed so there are no drafts. Raised dirt floor.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

It exits into a large inner barn yard run in and then they free range if they want to exit the barn.

I am looking for photos of other coops so I can figure out how to set mine up!

2. PGRanch

Jul 2, 2012
    Northern California
    No one?

I took a photo of the run in set up. The photo above shows the HUGE door that swings open. I plan to put stalls on the right side so I'm going to cut the gigantic door in half and seal it up. I don't need such a huge door.

[​IMG]

3. ailurophile23

ailurophile23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    VA
    Not sure if this will help but here are a few pics from my barn coop - the roosting area runs from the door to outside (left side of pic) and around the corner to where the nest boxes are. Have hanging feeders under short end of platform and added more roosts (from tree branches) as a "ladder" of the front of the platform.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wall perpendicular to nest boxes has two waterers on it and then door to inside of barn.

Wall perpendicular to that has more feeders on it.

Door to outside lets them out under the wing (between tractor and 4 wheeler)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry I don't have occupied pics with all the details. The coop is 12x12' and flooring is sand over crusher run gravel base.

4. PGRanch

Jul 2, 2012
    Northern California
    Thanks for posting! How do your hens get to their nests? I like the design but how do they just jump into the boxes? I've always dealt with boxes that have a large platform for them to walk into them.

5. ailurophile23

Dec 21, 2010
    VA
    The nest boxes are not more than a foot off the ground and even my heavy brahma hens can jump up to the bar/pole/roost in front of the nest boxes (at least the bottom ones). The smaller RIR hens have no issues going into the second story of boxes which also has a bar in front of it.

6. cowcreekgeek

cowcreekgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    Protecting your flock(s) from drafts shouldn't result in any failure to maintain good air flow ... they need it, and it's about the only way to keep moisture down, which is an enemy to the good health of your chickens. I suggest that, before concerning yourself w/ the architectural aspects, you consider the following link (despite being published in 1915, I find the book remarkably useful ~'-)

>> PECK HERE << to open it in a new window

7. ailurophile23

Dec 21, 2010
    VA
    I completely agree with cowcreekgeek. One of the benefits of using a barn is the inherent air flow due to gaps. If you do chose to cover some of the gaps between boards, make sure to leave some gaps uncovered near the top of the walls - you can place hardware cloth over the openings but they really provide great airflow!

8. PGRanch

Jul 2, 2012
    Northern California
    Thanks! I was mostly referring to the small amounts of light you can see coming through the sides and bottom. The opening by the roof will be covered by fencing to keep critters out and air flow in.

Any photos of any more set ups? I've be reading a lot of the threads on here.

9. PGRanch

Jul 2, 2012
    Northern California
    Okay, I didn't see the bars but I see them now. :) Thanks!

10. cowcreekgeek

cowcreekgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    You're welcome, but I've no other photos (save for those of my brooder ~'-)

I, too, must build a chicken house very soon, but keep struggling w/ my over-thinkin' then whole thing. I'll probably build a building that will serve as one now, but will be used for something else later.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by