Looking for layer for family pet? Suggest a breed please!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by minnesotachicken, Jul 12, 2010.

1. minnesotachicken

minnesotachicken Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2010
    South Metro
    I am new with all of this, and am looking for a good layer, that will be gentle/ docile to be around children!! If anyone has experience with a good breed like this, please let me know!!!

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I too have children and all of my hens are fine with kids. Some prefer to not be held though. My most friendly and huggable girl is my light brahma. With kids, you'll want to get an Easter Egger (called Americauna by feed stores and hatcheries). They can lay any color egg, but most often lay blue or green eggs. My kids think the green eggs are so neat!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2010
  3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Plus, I see you are in MN. Brahma's are also very cold hardy and lay well in winter.

4. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

We have several breeds, but the Delawares are our pets. They are so sweet and come up for chest rubs and, "hugs!"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  5. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    My favorite pet growing up was a little Rhode Island Red hen. Ohhhh she was so nice, followed me around like a puppy and loved to be held! I don't think that her personality is typical of the breed, however, they lay lots of eggs! My best advice is to get some sexed chicks and handle/play with them every day. Give them corn as a treat and they will love you no matter what breed you choose. [​IMG]

ETA She also left me an egg every morning through out the cold winter and very rarely went broody.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  6. InsaneBreeder

InsaneBreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Kurtistown, Hawaii
    The most docile and friendly layer breed I've ever had are buff orpingtons. One of mine will run right up to me to be picked up and carried around. Her only downside is that she regularely kidnaps and runs away with my hairband.

7. buffbeauty

buffbeauty Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Central Arkansas
    Orpingtons!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by