Looking for layer info

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Nightfeather, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Nightfeather

Nightfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Clinton, Utah
    I have been looking for the best breed of chicken that is good for Laying, and show. If you all could tell me your thoughts of what breed is the best please share what you think is the best breed and tell me why if you could do this for me it would help me out a lot. :)

**edited by Staff**

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2012
  2. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Any recognized breed of chicken can participate in poultry shows, if I am not mistaken.

You want good layers, so look at some of the breeds that are the best layers, and you can show those breeds if you have quality birds.

There are many varieties of Leghorns, and they are the best egg-layers. Rhode Island Red and Black Australorp will lay an average of 5 eggs a week in a year.

I would suggest you choose a breed that you enjoy, because breeding is about helping to maintain a breed. You should help maintain a breed of chicken you like.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  3. AnimalLady123

AnimalLady123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    At the computer
    I don't know any good quality "showers" because I don't do 4-H or bird shows or anything like that but I do have 3 RIRs and they lay 250-300 eggs a year!! (And 2 eggs a day) :) Good Luck!! [​IMG]

4. Nightfeather

Mar 1, 2012
    Clinton, Utah
    I am mostly looking for a realy preaty bchicken what is good at laying eggs .

5. Bullitt

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
  6. Nightfeather

Mar 1, 2012
    Clinton, Utah
    I am looking for something with more color then those ones you have shown me Bullitt
    do you know of any other breeds with lots of color in them

7. Bullitt

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    There was a Buff Leghorn on that page. They have a pretty color.

Do you mean multiple colors?

8. Bullitt

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
  9. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Take a close look at the Exchequer Leghorns, especially if you see a photo--- you might find those birds both showy enough and good enough egg producers.

I found this photo from a google image search: http://www.google.com/imgres?q=exch...M&imgurl=http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2789/

10. Nightfeather

Mar 1, 2012
    Clinton, Utah
    I like the silver laced chickens and golden laced is their anythink like them but a difrent color.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by