Looking for layers in Central Massachusetts

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by newchickener, May 8, 2008.

1. newchickener

newchickener New Egg

May 6, 2008
    Does anyone know where I can get some RI Reds, Barred Rocks etc in MA area? I would like layers if they are available. Thanks a lot.

2. bestponymilo

bestponymilo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2007
    Hi, I have two barred rocks, a speckled sussex and two buff cochin pullets if you're interested. Right near Springfield, MA. They're not laying yet, they're only about 6 weeks old but they are out of the brooder and in the coop.

3. freshegg

freshegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    greenfield,ma
    I found RI reds in athol,ma. they are about a year old lay big eggs and are only $5 each the guys name is bill his number is 978-249-8643. I got 8 yesterday came home put large doghouse up on 2 pallets and am making a door today and putting in nesting boxes. pretty birds. hope this helps he says hes getting a bunch more he had 30 yesterday.

4. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    freshegg that is what I have for a few of my coops, doghouses. They work pretty good, I had a door added on the front with screen which I cover with plastic in winter and also had a door put in the side of it so I could clean it out. That's a good price for those chickens too.
    Sorry newchickener but I do not have anything for sale at the moment.

5. newchickener

newchickener New Egg

May 6, 2008
    Thank you all. Freshegg, I am going to pick up my first flock tomorrow AM in Athol! How are the birds? Thanks for the great info.

6. freshegg

May 15, 2008
    greenfield,ma
    hi new chickener Sorry it took so long to reply I forgot I posted this message. My chickens are fine still only getting 3 eggs a day but they are happy here. How many did you get? Hows it going so far. I fed mine a ton of hardcorn soaked in water overnidght with hot pepper yesterday hoping to push up the egg production. my eggs I do get are extra large. also built a automatic feeder with a 5 gallon covers bucket and planter bottom it was super easy, believe me I am not a handy tool person but I did it.

7. freshegg

May 15, 2008
    greenfield,ma
    update on my chicken houses First I have the doghose on 2 pallets then I decided I would cover the cellar stairs with a floor cause this looks like a narrow shed hooked to the house and has room for high roost. I'll have to post a pic. well I was so proud of this nice bigger coop, so after a few days I snuck out in the evening and guess where they all were, In the dog house [​IMG] but they do go in the cellar shed thing to eat and lay a egg here and there.ok I just went and took pics of there area and there feeder that very unhandy me made myself [​IMG]

[​IMG]

IMG]http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm151/freshegg/deanforprom008-1.jpg[/IMG]

[​IMG]

8. freshegg

May 15, 2008
    greenfield,ma
    oops only loaded 2 pics heres the feeder

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by