Looking for learning advice on eggs, broody, mating and such....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by juleeque, Mar 30, 2015.

1. juleeque

juleeque Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2014
    Hello all....If I could ask some more questions on the subject of eggs/hatching/mating and such...I looked at many other posts, but still have questions....
    I have my second broody hen, the first hatched eggs that were given to me. Of those eggs that hatched, I got two roosters, and they are just over 3 months old. The one is crowing, I haven't seen the other crow. But the one not crowing has tried to do his 'business' on my other adult hens, I haven't seen the crowing rooster try anything yet. But one of my Delewares (8 mo old) has been broody for around 3 weeks. I took the eggs under her into a dark room and put a bright flashlight around the egg (as seen on a youtube video) and I could see a yolk, but no air sack as seen in the video. (There is also some very good detailed pictures of the egg developing on this site!) but after 1.5 weeks the eggs showed no sign of 'veins'. So here's some questions I couldn't find or need confirmation.
    1. If a rooster is crowing is he old enough to transfer sperm to a female?
    2. Is a rooster passing fertile sperm every time he mounts a hen (even if he doesn't make 'contact'?
    3. I understand from a post here that all a rooster needs to do is touch his cl??(I forgot the spelling, but where he poops from) to the hens same area and she gets fertile eggs???
    4. And I also read that when a hen becomes fertile she can lay fertile eggs up to 3 weeks?
    5. So when a hen becomes fertile, and becomes broody, why would she sit on unfertile eggs?
    6. Does a hen know when the eggs she lays are fertile?
    7. And if they are fertile and she doesn't sit on them why not?
    8. I assume when she doesn't sit on them the fertile egg dies?
    9. When an egg is fertile, does it still have a yolk?
    *I did find an egg with no air sac (at day 2-3) and no yolk shadow....what was that???
    10. If I wanted to mate a hen to one of my roosters, is there a way to get them to mate with out him being hurtful to her?
    11. And if they did, would she go broody and hatch eggs???

I am sorry for so many questions, but I do thank you for your kind replies.
    blessings julie

2. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    1.Crowing young rooster could pass sperm, but the hen may not let him till he has confidence.

2.Roo has to make contact to fertilize.

3.yes, if roo is fertlie.

4.She will be fertile up to three weeks but as the time goes by probably less and less.

5. A hen may become broody with out having mated, they sit on unfertile eggs or golfballs, rocks, just if they are in the mood to do so.

6. Hens lay the eggs unless they are broody, they don't care if they are fertile, then look back to #5

7. Some hens are not breed to sit., some don't feel like it.

8.A fertile egg can be fertile up to 10 days, whether it gets sat on it or not. but after 3 days of sitting it should be consistent.

9. The only time eggs don't have a yolk is if the hen is young and squeezes off a "witch egg" yolk less, or if they have gotten old and something is wrong with their oviduct.

10.Roosters will do what they do, you can get a smaller roo, not so heavy, or remove his spurs.

11.look at #5 again.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  3. juleeque

juleeque Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2014
    Wow! thank you so much. That has enlightened me and answered more questions that I didn't post!

4. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I am glad I could help. feel free to ask.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by