1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Looking for meat birds....

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by ChickenMammy, Feb 23, 2012.

1. ChickenMammy

ChickenMammy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2011
    I am looking for a good place to buy meat birds. I have checked some of the hatcheries, but most have available dates that are too far out. I meant to order early, but time got away from me. I don't want to try and grow them out in the texas summer heat. Any ideas? I am also looking for a place close by, so they don't have to "travel" so far.
    Thanks!

2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I ordered some Cornish X 2 days ago from Welp Hatchery. I had read good things about them. I ordered 25 pullets and wanted them the week of 3/12 but they were sold out so they will ship 3/21 so they will be ready to process in May. If you order straight run you may be able to get them sooner though. They have an ASAP option and the prices are great and include shipping.

3. bluere11e

bluere11e Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2011
    West Palm Beach
    I think Schlect Hatchery might be able to help you. I'm involved with a local poultry club meatie project and took on the herculean task of trying to locate 100 CX on short notice.. Have just about exhausted all resources, another club member told me about Schlect.. I spoke to a lady named Etta and explained my predicament. She was MORE than accommodating and in fact said they had a higher than normal successful hatch and would be able to fill and ship my order that day! I'm in South Florida and got them 2 days later! They were active and healthy birds. They threw in a couple of extras and ALL survived (one did die 2 weeks later.. not hatchery's fault)
    Give them a try and see if they can help you. Good Luck!

4. Phillip Foster

Phillip Foster New Egg

Feb 23, 2012
    hey i have 100 broilers that are two days old for $1.00 a piece for 50 or less for 50 or more i will sell them for $.50 cents each im in cabot arkansas give me a call at 501-259-9271

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The local feed stores, TSC type stores are all having chick days soon. Most all I've ever seen make a good price on the CX and usually have a few hundred to sell. Just a thought.

6. Swampfarmer

Swampfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2011
    Crawfordville, FL
  7. birdman1960

birdman1960 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2012
    north central cheeseland
  8. ChickenMammy

ChickenMammy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2011
    Awesome! Thanks guys. I really like Schlect. I called my local TSC and they are getting theirs in a couple of days, so I think I will get a few there and order some more later. My freezer can't hold too much right now. =) I was checking into Welp, but couldn't get a date I liked. I was going to use Ideal, but they had sold out until May already.[​IMG] LOL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by