1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Looking for Motors for Whizzbang - Look Here!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Connorrm, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Connorrm

Connorrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  2. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    It calls for a 3/4 HP motor. You may be dissappointed if you only get a 1/2HP. Also, I don't see where it says it is sealed. Personally, I wouldn't put an unsealed motor on it due to all the water that get used close to it. I really have to question why it is so cheap. I paid $175 for my 3/4 HP. Everywhere I checked they where close to that price. Just sayin'

ETA: I just looked up TEFC. Didn't realize that meant totally enclosed. So forget the sealed part above.

3. ngamtnman

ngamtnman Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    North GA
    That's a stepped shaft with no slot for a key, only a snap ring groove. I don't think that will work too well. Be hard to keep a pulley from spinning on that shaft, especially when you threw a chicken in the plucker.

If you look around ebay you can find a good deal. I got a 3/4hp dayton motor brand new but no box or paper work (it still had the plate riveted to it) for $115 shipped to me.

ETA: The end of the shaft has no support either, which means you have give it support (I.e. a pillow block bearing) or else the stator will hit the rotor.

4. Connorrm

Connorrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    Ahh, dang.

5. Mikey D

Mikey D Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Apache Junction AZ
    Quote:You could get that motor to work for you. Everything that Big red and ngamtman said is true however...

If you are using sheeting instead of a barrel for your plucker, reduce the diameter of the cylinder and the spinning disk. This will reduce the # of chickens you can put in at once but if it is for a small home unit that should matter little and you will need less torque.

Get a 3/4 ID pillow block for the end of the motor shaft. That is why it is stepped & you can use it for the outboard support.

Gear down the speed a bit. Use a smaller motor pulley and a larger spinning plate pulley. That will also give you more torque to do the plucking.

Good luck!

Mikey

6. RoosterGeek

RoosterGeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2010
    Lebanon, TN
    They have really good prices on gear reducers. I ordered my 10:1 gear reducer from them the other day. Their support is phenomenal. If you are looking for a cheap electric motor, you can pick one up for 139.99 at harbor freight. I got a 1hp farm duty motor that's enclosed for about 160 bucks shipped! It's pretty heavy duty looking. The casing on it it is thick.

I plan on posting pictures of mine when I get it done.

Supply Surplus' farm duty motor's are suppose to be pretty decent as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by