Looking for Motors for Whizzbang - Look Here!

It calls for a 3/4 HP motor. You may be dissappointed if you only get a 1/2HP. Also, I don't see where it says it is sealed. Personally, I wouldn't put an unsealed motor on it due to all the water that get used close to it. I really have to question why it is so cheap. I paid $175 for my 3/4 HP. Everywhere I checked they where close to that price. Just sayin'

ETA: I just looked up TEFC. Didn't realize that meant totally enclosed. So forget the sealed part above.

Last edited:
That's a stepped shaft with no slot for a key, only a snap ring groove. I don't think that will work too well. Be hard to keep a pulley from spinning on that shaft, especially when you threw a chicken in the plucker.

If you look around ebay you can find a good deal. I got a 3/4hp dayton motor brand new but no box or paper work (it still had the plate riveted to it) for $115 shipped to me.

ETA: The end of the shaft has no support either, which means you have give it support (I.e. a pillow block bearing) or else the stator will hit the rotor.

Last edited:
Quote:
You could get that motor to work for you. Everything that Big red and ngamtman said is true however...

If you are using sheeting instead of a barrel for your plucker, reduce the diameter of the cylinder and the spinning disk. This will reduce the # of chickens you can put in at once but if it is for a small home unit that should matter little and you will need less torque.

Get a 3/4 ID pillow block for the end of the motor shaft. That is why it is stepped & you can use it for the outboard support.

Gear down the speed a bit. Use a smaller motor pulley and a larger spinning plate pulley. That will also give you more torque to do the plucking.

Good luck!

Mikey

They have really good prices on gear reducers. I ordered my 10:1 gear reducer from them the other day. Their support is phenomenal. If you are looking for a cheap electric motor, you can pick one up for 139.99 at harbor freight. I got a 1hp farm duty motor that's enclosed for about 160 bucks shipped! It's pretty heavy duty looking. The casing on it it is thick.

I plan on posting pictures of mine when I get it done.

Supply Surplus' farm duty motor's are suppose to be pretty decent as well.

Back
Top Bottom