Looking for Nagoya Cochins (not bantam)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Treefolk, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Treefolk

Treefolk Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2011
    I have some Japanese friends that told me about this breed when I said I was looking for a meat breed that was not a Cornish-X. My friend spelled it "Kochin", but I have not had luck using that name.

We live in Northern California and I have had little luck finding this breed. I have found bantams, but that is of no use.

If someone could please post a phone number or link, it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  2. fowlman01

fowlman01 Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    http://www.mikesblender.com/indexblog156.htm

It
    looks like a regular buff Cochin large fowl to me. Where in norcal are you? I might be able to find a source, but they will only sell grown birds. There are other sources of Cochins, but I'm not sure why anyone would use one as a meat bird. They grow very slowly.

Walt

3. Treefolk

Treefolk Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2011
    I'm in Sonoma county.

According to the Japanese, most of the ones in Kochin restaurants (entire restaurants dedicated to serving this breed) are serverd at about 80 days. I don't mind taking longer then a Cornish-X if it means that the meat is of higher quality and the animals aren't genetically inferior.

4. fowlman01

fowlman01 Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    Quote:Great, so am I. I'm in Santa Rosa. There is a fellow in Cloverdale that had and probably still has large Cochins. His name is Gary Wilson. I will PM you his phone#. He will not sell eggs or chicks, but his birds are huge.

Walt

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by