Looking for Northern Bobwhite hatching eggs.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by FossilPeak, Jan 8, 2014.

1. FossilPeak

FossilPeak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2014
    Tuscola, TX
    Anyone know where I can find some this time of year?

2. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Unless you get lucky and find a large farm that is selling right now you are probably out of luck. Come spring you won't be able to find aught but northerns, however right now your best bet would be looking for large operations who are running light schedules with indoor birds. You might find someone who has a few of them under lights but keeping bobs laying on a large scale at this time of year is expensive (16 hours of lighting and keeping the room heated to the 60s).

3. LeenaB

LeenaB Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2013
    You might want to check on ebay. That's where I got my current round of quail eggs.

4. FossilPeak

Jan 8, 2014
    Tuscola, TX
    Ordered another 300 Georgia Giants just to keep the incubator busy.

5. LeenaB

Nov 22, 2013
    I think I need a bigger incubator. I'm developing size envy.

6. FossilPeak

Jan 8, 2014
    Tuscola, TX
    I've got a GQF that will handle about 1200 quail eggs and another that does t have all the fancy digital temp and humidity readouts. Bought them both used and got a heck of a deal.

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Be careful buying eggs on ebay. If you do not know that this breeder is reputable and is raising healthy birds, you can get a batch of bad eggs, eggs that don't hatch, birds with health or genetic issues. Just be aware of this. :)

8. LeenaB

Nov 22, 2013
    TwoCrows I checked their reviews, which were all really positive. In addition to that I visited their website and facebook page. I've had better experiences buying off of ebay than I have off of craigslist. I ordered 12 eggs, got 18. 3 cracked while in the incubator, so I have 15 going strong. I'll have to see how they turn out. And then I'll post my ebay review. I'm hoping to have 6 hatch, which in my mind is a good deal and that would be a very low hatch rate- lower than what I've previously had with my incubator and fresh non-shipped eggs. Let's see I paid 15.74 with shipping. so if 6 hatch it works out to $2.62 per bird, which is cheaper than I can buy here. My last birds were $5 each and were really overbred and battered. If I happen to get more than 6 to hatch, well then I'm lucky. If not it was a lesson that cost me $15.74 Worst case scenerio is that I'll be hatching my own birds eggs. Which I probably will do at some point anyway. Yes I'm very small scale here compared with most.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by