Looking for opinions on these runs

Aunt Tat

Songster
Dec 8, 2020
Portland, Oregon
We're considering this type of run, with a large Over EZ coop placed inside. Mainly for the cost. We're in the Portland Oregon area and preds would be from the sky. We do have rats in the area but we're working on that, also, since neighbors have filled in their pond, no possums or raccoons. We have a few neighborhood cats, but we're on a flag lot and it's fully fenced in.

Thoughts? (In my heart of hearts, I want a conventional run built with a shed style roof, 2x4s and hardware cloth...

https://www.amazon.com/Chicken-Flat-Roofed-Waterproof-Anti-Ultraviolet-Backyard/dp/B07YFFPJMH

We're considering this type of run, with a large Over EZ coop placed inside. Mainly for the cost. We're in the Portland Oregon area and preds would be from the sky. We do have rats in the area but we're working on that, also, since neighbors have filled in their pond, no possums or raccoons. We have a few neighborhood cats, but we're on a flag lot and it's fully fenced in.

Thoughts? (In my heart of hearts, I want a conventional run built with a shed style roof, 2x4s and hardware cloth...

https://www.amazon.com/Chicken-Flat-Roofed-Waterproof-Anti-Ultraviolet-Backyard/dp/B07YFFPJMH
Eh..... it would work... I too as the other poster said, vote for the peak roof instead of the roof with a flat area.

You would have to layer Hardware cloth over it, the supplied wire doesn't look very strong.

And yes, also do an apron or skirt... some kind of no-dig edge.

In fantasy world... I agree that a wood framed shed roof, fully covered run would be nicer. In my fantasy, for your climate, I would skip the Over EZ coop and make a connected to the run three sided open air shelter with huge eves.

A bit further down on the page they have a related product which has the full peak without any flat section on the ridge. With the amount of rain that I hear Portland Oregon gets, I would suggest it's a better option.
I live in the desert, and I agree the peak roof with no flat area would be a better option! You might still come out ahead even after putting the hardware cloth all around. The possoms and raccoons could still be nearby, and looking to replace the food source they lost when the neighbor's pond was filled in.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom