Looking for organic methods to treat lice/scaley leg mite

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chicken legs, Apr 17, 2008.

1. chicken legs

chicken legs Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2007
    SW, CT
    Hope this is right forum. Can I cut feathers off Favorelle feet Roo for scaley leg mite? I know he has scaley leg mite and I was going to clip the feathers off his feet and treat with I dunno what yet. Then I was going to give all the girls and boy a bath in warm water with dish soap and not rinse the soap off because I read that it helps suffocate the mites somewhere. I thought their taking their dust baths took care of all of this but apparently not. Or or mites/lice acceptable on a bird? I dunno. Then scrub coop with bleach water. I don't like the idea of leaving soap bubbles on them but i don't know of other options and I hope they won't catch a cold from this. What do I treat feet with for scaley leg mite? Should I use a flea and tick shampoo for dogs on the whole crew? I really appreciate any feedback. Liz

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I don't think using dog shampoo is a good idea... some dogs die from dog shampoos, I would imagine something the size of a chicken would be even more sensitive.

Hopefully someone here can help you out, I have no experience with mites.

3. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    Just about any kind of oil or lotion will work for the scaly mites. You just have to keep reapplying it for a while.
    Anything from baby oil, to bag balm.

4. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* I've read here that Campho-phenique and Vick's both work good. Don't know that I'd call them organic. How about straight Murphy's Oil Soap or Jojoba oil??? Or both?

5. Arklady

Arklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Kansas
    The cheapest and least harmful for your birds that have scaly leg mites is Mineral oil its cheap and isn't sticky like some oils. You can treat every few days it should do the job for tough jobs I use petrolium jelly.

Arklady

6. chicken legs

chicken legs Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2007
    SW, CT
    Thanks so much for the good feedback ya'll. I have one more question...does it make sense to cut his feathers off his legs? Will they grow back if I do? I just thought it would help to get to the scaley leg mites better...thanks!

7. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Vaseline on the legs works very well for scaley leg mites. It's messy, but effective.

8. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    Quote:I do not know if cutting the feathers off legs is necessary It may help you are going to get the feathers oily anyway. I am not going to advise you to do it. Do feathers have a quick? Feathers do grow back but it may be after a molt so it would be awhile.

9. chcknrs

chcknrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Kelso, WA
    Neem oil is an organic insecticide that is very effective. you can dilute pure oil with mineral oil and apply directly to affected area. No need to clip feathers, just massage oil into feathers/skin. From what I have read here, you can treat the coop/run areas with diatomaceous earth to clean the mites from that area. Neem oil is from the seeds of some tree in India. I have used it safely on my dogs for fleas and ticks, and on the neighbor dog for mange. Worked every time, and fast! I apply a drop or two on a tick and they die fast!

10. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* You can give neem internally, too. But, I haven't used it in chickens yet. Actually, though, to smother them organically- I'd probly use organic vegetable shortening-- but yeah, I'd trim the leg feathers-- It'd mean less places for the mites to hide and easier application AND a less messy chicken!!!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by