looking for others who raise Golden Cuckoo Marans

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chasehope, Aug 24, 2010.

1. chasehope

chasehope Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Eastern Washington
    I am picking up my new flock of Golden Cuckoo Marans today after work. It consists of 8 hens and 1 rooster. They are "supposed" to be good quality birds. I am wanting to have great birds, so I am looking for some other people who are breeding them to possibly mentor me along the way. I am also looking for a feather shanked rooster, if anyone knows of any for sale. ANy help or info would be great. I will try to post pictures tomorrow!

2. BevDavis

BevDavis Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Quote:Hi

I am going to start to breed a golden cuckoo line and would be really interesting in seeing a picture of your new birds.

Bev Davis

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I have some Golden Cuckoos. (1 hen & 2 pullets... got rid of the roo)

They lay the largest eggs in my flock.... I mean HUGE.

I know I'm not supposed to do it, but I have a FBC roo over them right now and a friend with their eggs in the bator.

4. chasehope

Mar 2, 2007
    Eastern Washington
    I got a rooster with the flock of girls, and he is beautiful, however the previous owner said that he is not the most aggressive breeder, so in order to get better fertility I should get another rooster...I really like them. I cant wait for them to start laying again! They are 2 years old.

5. chasehope

Mar 2, 2007
    Eastern Washington
    here are some pictures of my new GCM flock. I am not sure how correct they are, but would love someones input. Sorry the pictures arent better. they are all crammed in a quarantine pen right now!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. BevDavis

Aug 8, 2010
    Quote:To make a golden cuckoo some people have crossed a black copper male with a cuckoo female but it is very difficult to get the gold in their hackles. I would be interested to see what the chicks look like.

Bev

7. BevDavis

Aug 8, 2010
    Quote:They are nice birds. At a guess I think they are carrying the wheaten gene but I could be mistaken. Bill Braden started getting golden cuckoo's from his cuckoo line some time ago, they were carrying wheaten and were lovely birds, very large and laid a nice dark egg.

I am going to cross a golden salmon (gold duckwing) male to a cuckoo female and a cuckoo male to a golden salmon female, then I will cross the two lines together. It should produce a golden cuckoo but will wait and see. I am waiting for the female cuckoo to come into lay again. Both lines lay very dark eggs but the egg could get lighter by crossing the two lines.

Bev

8. chasehope

Mar 2, 2007
    Eastern Washington
    these birds are supposed to be direct from Bill Braeden when they were eggs. I dont know much about them. Does their coloring look right? I am new to all of this, so I am trying to learn how to improve on them.

9. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    I raise them too are yours clean legged? I'm trying to get lightly feathered shanks and have some. Wheatons are not preferred for adding color to Goldens. Black Copper or Golden Salmon are preferred this website http://frenchmaransclubaustralia.yolasite.com/notes-on-breeding.php helps you with the formula for helping egg color and it could be used for adding better color to your birds. It seems egg color can be difficult to keep when blending bloodlines I hatched mine some were really dark and some were just okay soon I shall see what mine lay. I too am getting pretty excited and I think your birds are very beautiful.

10. chasehope

Mar 2, 2007
    Eastern Washington
    mine are clean legged. I am hoping to purchase a feather shanked rooster to breed these girls to. Do you have any eggs for sale?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by