Looking for Parasite sources in Coop Bedding Materials

Beamerz

Songster
Sep 23, 2020
Martha's Vineyard Island, MA
Hello!.. I'm dealing with my first mite/lice whatever infestation and believe I have that underway using neem oil and DE... ( came to this conclusion after much ado about the bugs)... I have read that some people reported having parasite problems after buying products like straw, from a ( Chain Store - unnammed but assumed by me to maybe be TS).. I had bought some straw for nesting boxes and noticed when I brought it home the hens would push it out of the boxes that still had coms coco coir in them.. ) ( they are pretty smart birds they are.. ) but I was less smart.. Then secondly I'd been impressed with the Carolina Coops stratgey of deep bedding so I had ordered several bales of the industrial hemp which I began to use for deep bedding..( liked how it seemed to remove smells almost immediately.. ) Ok.. fast fwd..
A week or so ago I discovered we had unwanted guests on the birds so I've been reading and reading and began treatment after much moderation. I'm struggling but feel confident I can manage with persisting and keeping up treatments.. I went into my coop at night 3 hrs after dark looking for any mites but didn't see any movement. ( I read some kinds you can't see) We had just finished insulating the coop the day before I noticed the birds had bugs. ( lucky me if I insulated over a problem) but for now I"m assuming otherwise. We also have a large population of Wild Black Turkeys that hang out in the yard in the same environs that my sometimes free ranging guys and gals use. I've found a turkey or two in the coop on occasion and I"m most suspicious that they may have become the vector of my mite/ or whatever it is problem. I gave up trying to figure out what it is at this time as none of the pictures or discussions I read seem like what I see., and from what I read its all treated the same way. I can see small tiny brownish or dark "beings" scurrying on the skin when I part feathers that are almost invisible to nake eye ( assuming mites)... I also saw feathers that looked as one person described as "Q-tips" on some birds.. some of my birds .. some of my birds seem to have almost none.
I'm just paddling along.. I've done a lot in my long life.. but this is an education I was not prepared for but somehow I enjoy these birds so much, and they never cease to amaze me with how smart they are. I respect chickens. I thank them every night for their eggs before I leave after singing them a song. I think they like me too.
I can't tell you how rewarding it was to wash my white roo who was the most infected in a hot soak of neem oil, dish soap and a few essential oils. He became like spagetti and seeme do enjoy and appreciate it so much. Now I"m off to treat 15 more birds... Any feedback on any of this is greatly appreciated as much as my Roo enjoyed his bath :). I also followed up with DE dusting after drying and spraying Poultry Protector on coop and birds ( back of neck, under wings, and tail/vent areas).
I was going to try to do the Ivermec but pulled back after reading about symptoms humans have experienced after taking it that birds can't speak too. Just because something works doesn't mean it's the best choice. I think it would have been faster for sure but if I can't make time for them, I realize I should not have them. They are a responsibility I did not understand the depth of but I really feel like you get back what you give in this world.. Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts.

I am sure whatever it is that the parasites are... they came from the wild turkeys.

I would guess your bedding is fine.

What is the poultry protector? Is that a spray with Permethrin? If so... then that is excellent, and all you need to do... spray them all once, then again about 10 days later.

The DE isn't needed... not sure why so many love that stuff... not sure it works.

I am unfamiliar with neem oil.

You do not have to wash them (and if you do wash them, spray them with the permethrin spray after), but I have found that is they have a heavy infestation it sure does help.

The ones that I washed, I used a puppy/kitten shampoo that had permethrin.

When it comes to these pests ( which I'm totally new to all of this) so far as solutions go.. I'm open and appreiciative of all input. What I've done so far is treated my white cockerell ( my profile pick) - His name is Bagel ( grandaughter names him) :) He was much to my surprise pretty messed up with bugs and had been the target of the other Roo and bossy hens and had been badly pecked on his head ( maybe the bugs had something to do with it.).. I did the soak with the very warm water neem oil ( like a 5% solution ) with added essential oils and then sprayed with Poultry protector [ https://www.amazon.com/Manna-Pro-05...words=poultry+protector&qid=1613446329&sr=8-1] - no harsh chemicals after drying I dusted him with DE. I did this two days ago..isolated him out of the coop because his head was still healing and I didn't want to put him with the buggy birds... .but I went into the coop after dark looking for mites.. found none but spayed a shot behind the neck under wings and around vent area for all birds and spayed with the Poultry Protector, the roosting bars and left. The next day I laid down DE in all the corners and crevaces and began to strip the coop and clean which I'll finish tomorrow with a bombing.
Yesterday 24 hrs after dipping I checked white roo and still found a few bugs running on his skin in a few areas. Today when I checked him-48 hrs. I found not one anywhere. Here is the article about neem oil https://eight-acres.com.au/blogs/news/treating-mites-and-lice-on-chickens I do prefer to try to stay as close to organic as possible because I think in the long run the chemicals change nature too fast.. but being new to all of this I realize I may change my mind. I was all set to find Ivermec this morning after I'd watched a YouTube vid of how easy you can treat mites, lice with 2 drops on the back of neck and again in 10 days.. but then I read the Side Effects that Ivermec can cause in people and it wasn't pretty.. and animals can't speak and say , I'm dizzy , weak or sick to my stomach.. so I reconsidered.

Tomorrow i'm planning to do all the other birds in the same manner and I"m going to bomb my coop while I'm dipping. ( not sure of what the ingredients are but the Grain Store told me they had a bomb for such a situation ) ( holiday set me back a day)

I'll post more on that because I can't find a bomb online that I can use for a chicken coop, ( not in this country)
and I am wondering if a flea bomb would work.. it does have pyrethins in it.. but I don't want to harm the birds.. so rather use what the grain store is recommending.. ( I'll let you know the outcome and what's in it.)

I do see that the jury is totally split on the DE.. but I think it helped for me.. ( could be wrong)... as I did several things in an effort to get this under control. I'm in my 70's and if I'd known how much work my huge garden I planted last year and the Chicken project would demand, I'd have thought more than twice BUT ... it is certainly keeping me active at a time when the chickens are just about the only game in town.. :-/ and I get excercise instead of sitting in front of my computer. It's all good and I thank you all for your excellent input.. ! I may end up pulling out the big guns but I'm saving them for the time being.. . There is just so much to learn and so many different view points.. like many recipes.. we read em all and take a little bit from each one maybe.

Thank you!

I have noted the different opinions on the ivermec, it is most definitely potent stuff.

I do not remember much controversy as to using Permethrin, and it is most definitely effective. I usually use a stronger concentration, in a horse fly spray, to spray down the coop when a deep clean is needed.

But yes, I completely understand your wish to try to be as earth friendly and organic as possible. It is a most noble goal.

Agrees that the bugs are probably from the wild turkeys, not your bedding.
Keep them out of your coop and away from your chickens.
DE and Neem might work, then you can get some permethrin.
I'd not use anything wet in this cold weather.
I use permethrin dust in winter and spray in summer.

It's important to know what bugs you are seeing.

My Bug Check notes:
Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

In my experience DE is unreliable for fixing an immediate problem. I use it to help as a preventative and when it's dry outside I'll put it in their favorite dirt bathing spots. Neem oil I'm more familiar with as a garden pest treatment. It takes awhile to notice a difference because it's a deterrent, discourages appetite, inhibits egg production (I think) etc.

If I were you I'd treat with permethrin to address the immediate problem and use DE and neem oil as preventative measures, keeping in mind that you may have to treat with permethrin again if that fails. I was able to find permethrin at my local farmers co-op... HTH.

Permethrin spray, or the dust in freezing weather, work very well, and are approved for use on chickens and in coops with no egg withdrawal.
DE is much less effective, and dangerous for anyone to inhale, so the disadvantages outweigh it's usefulness. Also, it comes from strip mining, bad all around.
Ivermectin works very well and is easy to use, however will be in eggs for a long time, and is not approved for use on poultry. Also it's easy to overdose; just sayin'.
Essential oils are all the thing in some circles, and vary in quality, can contain other toxic substances, and can be very unsafe used on various species. I'm not a fan! Check out Consumer's Reports about herbal products in general...
Wild birds are lovely, but not in the coop! Here we have those miserable house wrens in the coop often, and they do bring mites, and then we get to treat everything all over again. Miserable!
Some chickens can die with overwhelming mite or lice infestations, so the flock and bedding should definitely be treated, every time, and generally every seven to ten days for two or three treatments.
And, whatever you use out there, always wear a N95 dust mask or a respirator!!! Inhaling any of these dusty products, or poultry litter, is very bad for your lungs, and is cumulative in causing serious lung problems.
Mary

I much prefer the permthrin powdered form. Dust the birds well with it at roost time. Rub it in their back and butt area. The dust seems to work its way around more than the spray. I also worm with ivermectin and that is suppose to knock out the mites too.

Back
Top Bottom