Looking for photos and ideas for roosts and poop trays etc.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 09northernchick, May 17, 2009.

1. 09northernchick

09northernchick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2009
    I thought I would put up large rustic branches for roosts, but I'm wondering if the ladder style roosts have greater advantages.

Also, I'm looking for ideas for poop trays and how people have set these up for easy cleaning from the coop. One recent design I was looking at mentioned they placed theirs in a position for easy raking or scooping out the door. And one design in the gallery had almost a box built under the roost that opened from outside.

Not all the gallery photos have interior shots, which is what I'm really after at this point.

Any links or photos of your own would be hugely appreciated!

2. lelisabeth

lelisabeth Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Elverson, Pennsylvania
    I don't have a picture, but I just wanted to note that we gave our girls a few options to see what THEY like, and they actually like 2 x 4s more than round roosts. We have a 1-2" stick like you are talking about, and we have a 2x4 laid horizontally, and they like the 2x4. They seem to like the security and to sit on their feet. i don't blame them, I wouldn't want to grasp a little pole all night either!

ETA: Here's a picture of when we only had the roost. We added the 2x4 at the same height, and that's what they all use now.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  3. chills

chills Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2009
    well im no help, i was going to try to learn about the poop tray .. i'll be curious what others have to show and tell ..

4. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    We just built another coop in the garage 7 ft wide by 12 ft long. We made a ladder perch out of 2 by 2's with 3 rungs(sp) So far they love it and roost at all different levels. It is easy to pull out or put up agains the wall for cleaning. I'll try to get a pic here....

[​IMG]

Altho i don't have a droppings board, I just turn the shavings over everyday with a lil DE added and shovel it all out once a week and add to the compost [​IMG]

5. Suburban chick farmer 09

Suburban chick farmer 09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    St. Louis MO
    My roost is a 2x4 12" away from the wall. The droppings board is about 8" below the roost and is 22" wide. I'm still working on it, but when its done the droppings board will be covered with vinyl, with a light coat of sand over the vinyl.

Hope this helps.
    [​IMG]

this pic is brighter but you can't see as much.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  6. augustmomx2

augustmomx2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Central Indiana
    We used large branches in our coop for the "rustic" look, plus it was free. When the coop was constructed there is a little 12" 2*4 in the corner that was part of the construction, not intended to be a roost. My flock, however, has found this to be their fave spot. 6, 9wk old chickens fit on a space around 12inches [​IMG] So, I know they enjoy the high roost, plus I think its more comfy for their feet. Instead of having to grip, they can rest on their feet. I also have to mention one of my EEs roosts on top of the curved garbage can...its her special spot! I am going to have my dh install a long 2*4 across the coop, so they all can fit. In regards to the poop trays, I do not currently have any. I do not use the deep litter method & I usually just scrape up some shavings & poo in that area, put the older shavings under the roosts & new shavings in the areas where I removed the shavings. Here are a few pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. agirly4chicks

agirly4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Hamilton, Georgia USA
    09northernchick this is a great post you have started. Right now my chickens are roosting on everything. I really need to get some proper roost so thanks I will keep checking back at everyone's suggestions.

Angie

8. 09northernchick

09northernchick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2009
    These are great photos and ideas so far! Thanks for sharing and keep them coming [​IMG]

9. BCMominMD

BCMominMD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Southern Md
    Thank you! Thank you! Suburban Chick Farmer for the picts. They are ever so helpful. I have the roost up (and the chickens go in there today hoooooooooooray!!) but I just couldn't quite figure out how to add the droppings board. Now I know:)[​IMG]

10. Bard's Rock!

Bard's Rock! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    Indiana
    Suburban Chick Farmer,

I think you will like the drop board idea.

I made mine from a picture from a thread on BYC. I use play sand on the drop board and sift the poop with a kitty litter scoop. Works for me!

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by