Looking for Pics/Ideas Integrating Run/Hutches into Landscaping/Garden

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by nonseq, Jun 21, 2010.

1. nonseq

nonseq Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Central Ohio
    Anyone know of a site? Or have pics of their own efforts? I need ideas. Thanks!

2. Joz

Joz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    MidCity, New Orleans
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  3. nonseq

Sep 16, 2009
    Central Ohio
    That's not what I am looking for. I have a coop. I'm building a hutch. I have a large irregularly shaped lot. I want to make the hutch and the coop landscaping elements. I am unsure of how to do that and would like ideas.

4. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=385107

If
    this helps, the newspaper took photos of my suburban chicken coop and run. Pic#8 shows my "hoop" run, though its a first-run incomplete project. But the benefits of a hoop style include easy walking into the run without bending over, the pvc supports are less than a buck apiece and very sturdy, and it has a lovely, appealing, finished look. The pvc supports are anchored onto 4ft rebars sunk 3ft into the ground. Completing a doorway that has safety AND lovely archetecture is my next big step.

My design is unfinished [​IMG] even after 2 years. But the finished run will be hardware cloth instead of the pretty green coated wire, because I saw steel hardware cloth glinting in the sunshine and I prefer the clean lines that offers. Also, people say dogs can tear apart the pretty coated wire, and my beloved neighbor's hunting dogs sometimes run loose and I don't want these dogs' squishy velvet heads to bear any responsibility for stupid doggy mistakes such as tearing apart my chicken run to catch the fat little birdies for us.

My chicken's run is attached to the side of our shed, so from the street it is barely visible. Later, shrubbery and more square foot raised veggie gardens will take up more space to block the shed/coop/run from street view. Although chickens are within the law here, I still like a little privacy for them, and I hope my finished garden and coop will become a somewhat magical, lovely space. Sometime before I die. I have very nice plans, yes I do. . . .

5. nonseq

Sep 16, 2009
    Central Ohio
    I am trying to design a permanent, attractive, somewhat formal kitchen garden with perennial beds and dwarf fruit trees - perhaps espaliered against our fence fruit trees. I can find plenty of landscaping info, plenty of gardening info, plenty of animal housing info BUT nothing that combines them all.

6. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    i can't remember the name of the company (i will try and edit the post if i come up with it...).. but just google custom aviaries or something to that extent.. maybe something about large birds (like a macaw or parrot) + zoo exhibits

that's how i found this company.. and they specialize in buliding AMAZING aviaries for large zoos as well as bird sanctuaries. they definitely don't intend their structures to be used for poultry (i think that is because they are probably pretty expensive) but i don't see why you couldn't, or at least get some great ideas.

i hope this helps at least a little!

(i really wish i could remember the name of the company now!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] )

7. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    There's a BYC contributor here called "Joel Bryant", look up his page, there were gorgeous architectural details there........

Also, I have seen pics of little "Kitchen Chicken" cabinets in antiques websites, and my neighbor has one. They were little cabinets with nesting box built in for very old fashioned housepet chickens. Maybe you're about to make a comeback for the true pet chicken................

I agree that incorporating chicken coops into landscape design is a GOOD idea, like garden sheds and poolhouses and outdoor showers (got boys and dogs?) Designer Bunny Williams has a fantastic "aviary" in connecticut you could look up, too. And there's always Martha Stewart, she got me started on thinking up my design. Though I don't have her $resources (lots of money and staff) I definitely want that look, all clean and charming and coordinated.

I cant wait to see what you come up with.

8. nonseq

Sep 16, 2009
    Central Ohio
    "joe bryant." And YES that is similar to what I am looking for. The way the chicken coop and run look as if they belong to the house. His house is modern. Mine is not. My home and yard are more traditional - maybe cottage-y. Good ideas though!

TY!

9. calista

calista Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2010
  10. nonseq

Sep 16, 2009
    Central Ohio
    The concept is cool. Thanks! I've been all over Mother Earth lately. [​IMG]

no HOA here

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by