Looking for pics of a hoop coop added to an existing coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ckelley, Dec 29, 2016.

1. ckelley

ckelley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2015
    Southern Colorado
    I was chatting with some ladies on here and I think I might be able to add a hoop coop or a 1/2 hoop to my current coop to expand. The coop is no longer in this location, we moved it to our new house and now has a tree on the right side.

At the new location the front is open to the yard and the run is behind the coop. We cut out a temporary door in the back, and I would want to expand off of there. I also have to modify the nest boxes and make them double deckers for there to be enough room.

Could you post any pictures that may be related to the expansion I need? I'm ok building a second coop, but would like to just have one to be honest. lol.

My girls would knock at the back door when they heard my car beep.

[​IMG]

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Would be better if you posted pics of your coop in it's current location and explain better how you want to incorporate a hoop coop.

3. ckelley

Jan 26, 2015
    Southern Colorado
    Of course, thanks!

This is the front of the coop- the gate into the run in next to the nesting boxes.
    [​IMG]

We had to redo the rear of the coop and didn't have the time to make it pretty.

I'm thinking I can use cattle fence in an arch from the ground to the underside of the roof line and go the whole width of the coop. It is 5' at the back of the coop.

We are going to rebuild the nest boxes to be double deckers, and the coop itself has 24' of roosts. I would like the expanded space for food and water- moving around space and feed storage.

[​IMG]

This will not rotate properly- sorry. This is just an idea.
    [​IMG]

4. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Hmm...not a bad idea...not a bad sketch either, the isometric view really helps get the idea across.

Looks doable, the only thing that gives me pause is the 'flatness' of the curve might not hold snow load if you plan to put a tarp on it.
    So might have to support it with some 'sticks' of 2x2 or 2x4.
    Best way I figure stuff like this is out is to get a hold of one cattle panel and play with the best way to make it fit...see what it looks and 'feels' like.

How wide is back of coop?
    How tall is the roof edge there?

Might go with more typical hoop shape, about 8' wide and 5-6' tall.

Just some thoughts.

5. ckelley

Jan 26, 2015
    Southern Colorado
    Thank you- I am a very visual person so sketching helps me think things out.

It's 8' wide and 5' tall at the back. I'm not too concerned with snow. The amount we have now is pretty rare. We are in a rain-shadow in the middle of a large mountain valley.

Maybe using 12' panels would work best? I would like at least 6' for the shelf area. I'm 5'8" and don't mind crouching a little.

I will have to get one and play with it I think.

6. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I like sketches too...was a drafter by trade so use cadd to 'think'......nice to sketch to scale(true size and shape) in the cadd.
    But sometimes need to get your hands on a thing....was that way when I built hoop coops this summer.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/aarts-hoop-coop-chicken-tractor

I'd start with a 16 footer, can always cut it down(cut off wheel on angle grinder motor works slick)
    Try it both the way you have it drawn and the typical hoop layout(8' wide x 5-6 tall)...see what you think.
    Could maybe raise coop up.....bending over gets old, the older you get-haha!

7. ckelley

Jan 26, 2015
    Southern Colorado
    That's a great idea. I priced them and they only have 16' here anyway, so that works out. $22 each it's a bargain for sure.

I wanted to learn cadd- it was something I was really interested in but the class conflicted with one that was only offered on a two year cycle but was required for my degree plan- so it was a no go.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by