Looking for pics of chicken runs/tractors/cages.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bantamboy93, Sep 27, 2011.

1. bantamboy93

bantamboy93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    A combination of the 3. I have a big coop and it's good for the whole flock, but I love Purebred Chickens. And I love lots of different breeds and colors. So I'd love to be able to separate my chickens by color/breed, etc. I have some lumber and maybe i could get my dad to help me this winter fix up some little pens. Something in the way of a tractor. except just a cage. That offers shelter as well. Nothing too big. Something that could easily be lifted and moved but could hold 4-10 bantams. Anyone got anything like this?

2. bantamboy93

bantamboy93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    anyone?

3. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    I'd look on ebay at the el-cheapo coops/tractors, just modify the design slightly and build it yourself. They tend to advertise housing that number of chickens....

4. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hi, Here is what I built for my grandson as his first(of many) coops to get him started. Built it in Louisiana and brought it to him in Atlanta as a surprise. He now has three coops and many chickens and he is our inspiration for our chicken keeping adventure. Good luck with yours.
    Erik
    [​IMG]

5. mhhousley

mhhousley Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2011
    LaFollette, TN
    Quote:I love that coop, I got one almost identical in design but doesn't look nearly as good.

6. new2chickens2011

new2chickens2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    fireguy- is the front of the hutch part of the coop open? It's a beautiful coop! [​IMG]

7. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Go to my website and then the Housing Page. If you can make it through all those photos you will probably get some wonderful ideas and you will also see the conditions my birds live in year around.

8. bigb-71

bigb-71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    Ceder ridge CA
    [​IMG] [​IMG] here's mine .

9. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    new2chickens2011, No...the top is also enclosed. Since these photos my son-in-law replaced chicken wire with stronger hardware cloth as well.

[​IMG]

10. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Here are some other photos of what you had liked.
    It was this one, right?

[​IMG]

The top opens on both ends. It is difficult to get some birds out if they are not friendly. At this time I have Sizzles in it so there isn't a problem at all.

[​IMG]

You see there is a roosting board in there. It is on the covered end but this was before I finished it and I put one of those plastic trays from Dollar General in there for a nest box. It is open in the front but has a lip to keep the eggs and bedding in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by