looking for pics of Coop runs

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dawj, Jun 11, 2011.

1. dawj

dawj Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Central NH
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  2. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

A run is as simple as a fence or a modified dog kennel. What your coop looks like, as well as your terrain, enviroment, weather conditions, number of birds and predators is the deciding factors for a run design

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  3. spotstealer

spotstealer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Poynette, WI
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is what I did, a modified PVC greenhouse design. It works great and i had it done(this far, I still have some wiring to put in) in an afternoon. The bottom half of the fence was already there, but you could frame the top half right to the ground

4. RiddleMe

RiddleMe Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Here's a pic of my run. Basically dog kennel panels with hardware cloth around the bottom and a chicken wire top. I used chainlink fence top rails as the top cross supports, they are nice and strong and were really easy to install using brace rail clamps and pipe hangers. Between Craigslist and garage sales, the whole run cost me <$250 and it's ~260 sq ft.
    [​IMG]

5. dawj

dawj Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Central NH
    I guess my question is are people building runs 16, 24 or 36 on center? some have even looked 48" I am just trying to get some ideas.
    Thanks [​IMG]

6. spotstealer

spotstealer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Poynette, WI
    Mine is 18-ish oc. I did that to hopefully survive snow.

7. georgiagail

georgiagail Chillin' With My Peeps

Our first one with the coop outside (attached to the run) using a dog kennel:

[​IMG]

Our second one with the coop inside the dog kennel run:

[​IMG]

This second one is for our bantams but I become concerned that the coop took up too much space in the run so we added a second, smaller run out of electrical conduit pipe and hardware cloth, attaching it to the initial run, giving them an extra 10 feet of run. The bantams seem to like very much (we placed mulch on the floor of this one and they seem to spend a great deal of time scratching through this looking for worms and bugs):

[​IMG]

8. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    basic run. chickens on the left ... ducks on the right side.... they can go to eachside (by going inside the coops etc.)
    we built ours to stand inside...(easier on the back too).
    we used 2 x4 and poured cement throughout. painted, so the wood hopefully will last a while.
    good luck.

[​IMG]

9. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    [​IMG]

10. sadies chicks

sadies chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    The back of the Saloon has a door that I open for them in the morning. They are in their fenced yard all day.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by