looking for pictures of an 8x8 coop

chickencoop13

Songster
9 Years
Apr 2, 2010
nh
me and my dad are planning on building a coop that will be 8x8 i have a basic idea in my head but would love to see some pictures of your 8x8 if you have them inside and or out

I don't have pictures, but after some trees fell on my original coop (no chicken were injured) I built a quick A-Frame that is 8' x 8'. As it turns out it's pretty easy to ventilate due to the peak of the roof. The roosts are only about 20-24" off the ground which left my vent the top 1 1/2 on each gable end. Additionally, the ridge is vented as well. I fasten hardware cloth over the ridge and split and wrapped a piece of corrugated roofing to form a ridge cap. A square coop with a shed roof would be a little easier to work in, but for quick and dirty the A-Frame worked well. Incidentally, a box of vinyl siding covers it just about perfect. The angle is steep, so the water beads up and runs right off. I also put roofers felt underneath the siding just in case.

Simplest way is probably to build it with a roof that slants only one way. Cover the open areas at the tops of the walls with hardware cloth, well fastened, and you will have good ventilation and security from predators. You can make it 8' high on one side and 6' high on the other; you'll still be able to walk around in there, even if you have to duck a little on one side, and it still uses standard lumber sizes. Snow will slide off a metal roof relatively easily. Have some overhang over the open areas at the tops of the walls where there are openings, and little or no rain will come in.

Here's mine it's 8' x 10'. I live where it's extremely hot most of the time. This coop was designed 50 years ago from a gentleman that worked for my grandparents. I moved it & remolded it & added a run.
63768_pa130079.jpg
63768_p7110082.jpg

Quote:
Ohhhh, this is very nice. How cold are your winters?

Thanks! It just got down to 25 last night, but that's unusual. We get a handful of freezing or below freezing nights each winter, and sometimes snow, too. But mostly the night time lows are in the upper thirties and forties.

For my tiny bantams, I do provide supplemental heating on those freezing nights. They probably don't absolutely need it, but I sleep better knowing that they have it.

Our real problem weather is the summer heat. This new coop has enough ventilation and enough insulation, combined with a good shaded location in our yard, so that it won't be too hot for occupancy in the summer. Last August, when this coop was completed, I monitored the temp inside the coop and found it didn't exceed the outdoor temp, and that's what I was aiming for.

Quote:
ooooo ahhhhhhh I AM SOOOO JEALOUS!!! that is one beautiful coop!!

my coop is 8X8 but we live in Southern Cali. and it doesnt ever get 'too cold for the chickens'
but here you go...

coop009.jpg

coop001.jpg

its 8X8 square, open on 2.5 sides with sand inside, they either sleep on the roosts or in the 4X4 box. i have a large human/wheelbarrow door, the major thing i would change is the roof. I built it before i found BYC and my roof doesnt slope. I end up covering it with a tarp in the rainy season to keep out any leaks/drips. now that i know better i have a lot of changes in mind (im moving soon which will be a perfect opportunity for a remodle)

good luck with yours

Back
Top Bottom