Looking for pictures of Leghorn/RIR mutts

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cackle, May 22, 2010.

1. cackle

cackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    We recently had 5 chicks hatch the mom is a white Leghorn and the dad a RIR. They are all white like a leghorn but have a few black spots on them. Does anyone else have the same mix and if so please post pictures.

Thanks,

Susan

2. ilovebuffs

ilovebuffs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2009
    Senoia, GA
    OOH ooh! I have that exact mix. My chicks look the same as yours. I just don't have any pics of them. I'll try to get some tonight. But I have a rooster that is about 17wks now and I think he's going to be pretty. He was all white like the hens with black spots and then started to grow reddish feathers on his wings and chest. I might have to get the pics tomorrow. We'll see.

3. cackle

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Thanks that would be great. Mine are a little over a week and I can't imagine what they will look like when they grow up. I know they are not sew links but 4 have spots and 1 is solid I hope it has nothing to do with the sex of the chick. I sure don't need 4 more roos. BTW is he as mean as a RIR?

4. ilovebuffs

Jun 26, 2009
    Senoia, GA
    So far, he is the sweetest rooster we have. I told my DH that I just might be willing to get rid of the RIR and keep "Foghorn" to protect our freerange flock. When I was out feeding him the other night, he started crowing for the first time...it was so funny. I went out and got pics this AM. I'll try to put them on tonight when I get home.

5. Tara Rose

Tara Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

RR mutt
    This little one is from a - RR hen and a Gold Laced Cochin Roo
    This little bird is my favorite by far she/he is really neat looking, and was the first out and very strong and bright,
    [​IMG]

6. ilovebuffs

Jun 26, 2009
    Senoia, GA
    Ok, I need to figure out how to post pics...

[​IMG] This is "Foghorn" at 18wks.
    [​IMG] And this is his sister, JJ, at the same age.
    [​IMG] This cockerel is from the same parents, he is only 7wks old
    [​IMG] This pullet is also 7wks, but she has the black spots. Not that great of a pic. But you see the spots [​IMG]

I'm thinking, I'm not sure, that the boys get the red feathering at about 5-7wks old. And maybe the girls just stay mostly white. JJ only has red feathering right around her face. Hope this helps.

7. cackle

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Leghorn is a very handsome rooster. Hard to believe they can be so regal looking at 18 weeks. Thank you for posting. Was he solid white when first hatched? 4 of our 5 have the black spots. It will be interesting to see what they look like when grown. Any idea if the pullets eggs will be white or brown? I was told brown and dominate but your pullet appears to have white earlobes.

Thanks again,

Susan

8. cackle

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:Thanks Tara. That ones is a cutie too. Mutts make such interesting birds.

9. ilovebuffs

Jun 26, 2009
    Senoia, GA
    Quote:Thank you, cackle! He is a good rooster so far. He was yellow with a few black spots when he first hatched. Of the 5 little ones (9wks) we have now, they all had spots also. [​IMG]
    Our goal in hatching them was that maybe we would have RSL's. When they all hatched yellow, I was ready to sell them all-thinking they were roosters. But my husband wasn't really crazy about that, so we waited. And it's a good thing too. We have 3 girls and 2 boys in that batch. I think that I have read on BYC that egg color comes from both parents...so, I'm thinking that JJ's eggs will be a light brown. I'll let you know if that's the case.

I'm so glad that I have the exact mix that you had questions about and was able to help you out. Now you said your chicks were a week old right? Are any of their combs getting more red? You may have to wait till the red comes in on the boy-if you have one [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by