Looking for plastic coops made in USA

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dmoffett, Mar 4, 2012.

1. dmoffett

dmoffett Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2011
    Central Kentucky
    I've seen lots of unique plastic coops in the UK but can't find any made in the USA.
    Anyone know of any?
    Looking for one with a run that would be big enough for 3 large birds.

2. Jaxon4141

Jaxon4141 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2012
    Nebraska
    Eglu is part plastic.

Why do you want a plastic coop? Wire hoop construction is stronger and won't degrade and become brittle from UV exposure and you get a lot more sq. ft. if you make it yourself for what you would pay for a plastic coop. Lot of hoop construction picture on this site.

3. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

http://www.exterior-accents.com/bedfordbarnpen.html

This ships from the USA... but I doubt it's made in the USA. For that price, you could have a much larger, and more adorable coop built for you by a handyman. I'm not near you, but I am about to start a commissioned coop-- it will be quite a bit larger than this, only cost me $180 to build it (I know this, because I JUST finished one a couple days ago), and I don't have much of a mark up for my time. I bet if you came up with a design, figured out your lumber cost and then posted on CraigsList that you needed a handyman to build it-- you'll spend half the cost of buying one of those. Just a thought. :)

4. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm not a fan of plastic either. But there are a couple of pro's for plastic. For one, it is easier to keep sanitized for mold and illness. Red Mites are easier to eradicate off of plastic rather than wood. Less places for them to hide. Really, they are a great idea! If you've seen the treated recycled plastics they use, they don't degrade as quickly as you are suggesting. The cons, of course are that their manufacturing process is extensive-- having to use large machines to cut plastic and form them-- the cost is often too prohibitive for your average back yard chicken enthusiast. Also, they are usually very light weight and that poses the risk of a large animal crushing it or getting into it-- or in MY case-- just blowing away! It will need to be ground tied with spiral stakes into the earth to keep it down in a wind and will need to have fencing or precautions taken to keep large animals from having direct access. So yeah... I'm not a fan, but I can certainly see the draw people have to them. [​IMG]

5. Ms Miami

Ms Miami Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2013
    Coral Gables, Florida
    I'm also a fan of plastic. Since Florida is so damp and warm, wood rots away very quickly. You can easily find yourself spending more on repairs and replacement coops.

6. luvmychixandducks

luvmychixandducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Danvers, Massachusetts
    Plastic kiddie playhouses like little tykes make usable coops and can be found at yard sales or craigslist for around $5. to $10.
    Cover the windows with welded wire not chicken wire and they'll be easy to keep clean and are designed for outdoor sun exposure.
    You may want to secure the roof better for chickens than the original design for kids - nothing tries to get in and harm kids, like they will your birds.

7. farmgirlroots

farmgirlroots Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2013
    Oregon
    My Coop
    I've seen those Rubbermaid sheds that they have sitting outside home improvement stores like Lowes and Home Depot turned into coops for a smaller flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by