Looking for post on chicken age by size?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dadthebaker, Nov 11, 2011.

1. dadthebaker

dadthebaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2011
    Los Angeles Area
    Hola, all you cluckers! [​IMG][​IMG]

I have been searching far and near, well, my fingers have...and I cant seem to find a post on determining how old my girls are. They have feathery wings, but furry bodies and there is a small "line" of comb on thier pretty little heads.

WHen I bought them at the local feed store, it never occured to me to ask how old they were <DUH!!!>

I got them about a month ago and they are easy, three x's bigger than when we got them.

Dad

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

90% of the chicks in feed stores are only days old. Most stores get a delivery each week. At most your chicks were 10 days old, but also just as likely to have been 3 days old. Add that to your time, which makes them 5-6 weeks and you'll be close enough for horseshoes. Post a photo and we can also tell you within that same week or two guesstimate.

3. dadthebaker

Nov 7, 2011
    Los Angeles Area
    Fred's Hens :

90% of the chicks in feed stores are only days old. Most stores get a delivery each week. At most your chicks were 10 days old, but also just as likely to have been 3 days old. Add that to your time, which makes them 5-6 weeks and you'll be close enough for horseshoes. Post a photo and we can also tell you within that same week or two guesstimate.

Nice...Ya...they had really tiny, all "furry" chickies there, like days old...these were actually about three of four times bigger... that is why I am a bit confused.

I will post pics as soon as Wife gets back from <strong drawl> Teeexaaas.... this weekend.

[​IMG][​IMG] Thanks fer the reply! [​IMG][​IMG]

4. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    [​IMG] LOL need to see them

5. dadthebaker

Nov 7, 2011
    Los Angeles Area
    Quote:LMAO...can ya be a bit more specific??? I will do so this weekend.... [​IMG]

6. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Without pics it's hard to guess. But by 5 weeks old they should be mostly feathered with maybe fuzzy heads and spots of fuzzy areas. Because by six weeks they'd be fully feathered.

If they were fuzzy with wing feathers only I'd guess 1 week to 2 weeks. But at two weeks they'd also get tail feathers.

Also under what sex and breed forum there's a page of size for some breeds. That may help you too

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  7. Bantam Username

Bantam Username Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    Quote:X2 [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by