Looking for processor - Upstate NY/W Ma/VT... any ideas?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by brandytab, May 14, 2009.

1. brandytab

brandytab Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2009
    Upstate NY
    I've been searching the forum trying to find someone that's under an hour away from here to no avail. I think going beyond an hr would make it a pain, no? I don't mind the drive, just thinking about the carting of the chickens around the state. We're about 20 mins W of Bennington, VT and want to be sure that we can find a local processor to do this before we place our Cornish order. Thought I'd toss a post out here to see if anyone knows of someone.

Thanks!
    Brandy

2. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    look up "live poultry" sometimes it is hard to find when searching for poultry processor. They are often around spanish/mexican communities so you will have your best luck in those areas. There were a few around me but very hard to find I kept searching for butcher or processor to no avail but when I searched for live poultry I had better results. Good luck, I would tell you mine but you are too far away but I am sure they are around you just hard to find.

3. brandytab

Apr 27, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Thanks. I posted on the local CL also, hoping to get an answer. We also head to the Tug Hill area of NY all summer, so around there would be fine too.

I'll try looking for "live poultry". I figure there HAS to be someone - even a regular old person like me with a backyard flock who, unlike me, has the cajones to do it themselves [​IMG] and would be willing to do it for someone else!

My husband grew up doing it but he gave me the whole line about working hard to get a college degree and get off of the farm so he didn't have to butcher chickens when he got older [​IMG]. Poor sport.

4. Peruvian

Peruvian Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Vermont
    I'm about 1hr north of you in northern Bennington County and process my own birds. I'm not ready to take on anyone else's job but if you would like to come up and watch me process my birds to learn how to do it, I'd be willing to teach.

5. brandytab

Apr 27, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Really? I'd love to learn. Of course I might freak out when I *actually* saw it, but I think it would be good to process our own birds.

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:wow-where are you located-I would love to learn-?? You should teach a class!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by