Looking for PUL fabric

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Leslie In North Pole, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Leslie In North Pole

Leslie In North Pole Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2007
    North Pole, AK
    I am getting ready for baby and am looking for PUL fabric pieces that are large enough to make a diaper cover... As of yet I haven't found any locally.

If you have some you don't need or know a store where you can get it on discount... think of me.

Thank you.

Edited to add:
    PUL: stands for Poly Urethane Laminate. It is simply a knit or woven fabric that has been laminated with polyurethane to make it waterproof.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2008
  2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Leslie, next time I go to Fabric Depot, I will look. Or you can go to their website and look around
    www.fabricdepot.com
    If you don't see it, email them. They are very helpful!

3. Leslie In North Pole

Mar 7, 2007
    North Pole, AK
    That would be great, Terry. We have a JoAnn Fabrics and a couple of mom and pop places here... that is where I envy people who live "outside", a little drive time and your selections are so much better. Thanks.

4. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
  5. Leslie In North Pole

Mar 7, 2007
    North Pole, AK
    Hello, Chickenlady, thank you for the suggestion,

I did look at their site, but at $12 or more a yard, that gets pretty spendy. I just need simple, plain. Something I can possibly make a few pullups out of as well, until my two year old is done potty training and my older boys are finally master staying dry at night.

6. happibuddha

happibuddha New Egg

Jan 26, 2008
  7. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    You can pay to get any fabric you like PUL'd - I have some denim somewhere around.
    Let me look in my files - I've sent fabric off before to get done for me.

You can also buy on EBAY - but remember regular plain PUL only costs about $7-$8 a yard.

8. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    This is where I sent my fabric:
    http://www.fabrite.com/apps.html

Your best bet is to look on YAHOO GROUPS and find diaper making groups or sewing groups - where they all get together and send fabric in - or where they buy the fabric and split it up.

(The only reason I know all this is I used to have my own online diaper making shop - 2 years ago)

Edit to add: You won't find good PUL at any store like Joann's or even Fabric.com - nobody really keeps it in stock - if you do find any kind of waterproof fabric chances are it will be too bulky to use for a diaper or cover.

Your other option is WOOL.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2008
  9. Leslie In North Pole

Mar 7, 2007
    North Pole, AK
    Thanks, happibuddha for the links.

Wildsky, I tried looking at the fabrite site before but I am not sure the of the exact term I am looking for... what kind of lamination? What kind of fabrics are best?

I know alot of people use wool in my area... due to never having seen pul before but my husband has a really bad reaction to wool... like he needs more excuses for not changing the baby. I swear, I mentioned how a lot of people use wool and he started itching.

Now I have so many questions...

I have made my own diapers in the past but never the covers and now I am trying to figure out the whole pullups and momma pads thing, too.

Thank you for all of the help!

10. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I'd be more than happy to help I've made it all.... [​IMG]

I MUCH prefer AIO's but that was just me - covers seemed to be a lot of work, for a lot of work [​IMG] AIO's were just SO easy and if I made em myself - well I could have as many as I needed.

Bummer on the wool alergy.

I've used a mixture of fabrics to be laminated, the slight stretchy is THE best. the denim I did had a slight stretch and was really cute - I had half my fabric laminated to make little matching dresses..... (didn't get that far [​IMG])

To get a fantastic deal - really look up some Yahoogroups - I used to be on a few of them, you can buy as much as you need, they put in a BULK order and then the person organizing it cuts it and sends you your part. You do normally have to pay the person who's organizing - like $1 per cut.... so the more you buy the more you save.!

The BEST for absorbtion is those microfiber cloths - I've NEVER been able to find the actual FABRIC, and bought a HUGE lot of the cloths for 50c a piece - just to have that super absorbing fabric in the middle.

Suedecloth is your best bet for against the skin - as it doesn't hold moisture and stays dry. (Edit to add: a microfleece works really nicely as well - but in hot weather it can be kinda well HOT)

For a nice AIO I would use about 4-6 layers of Microfiber on the inside. (Edit to add: I had to buy a big fancy overlocker to handle all the layers - my little walmart special couldn't handle it - I have an 8 thread overlocker now with cover stitch - that does everything but mix drinks!)

Do you have a snap--press? THose are AWESOME, I bought an industrial one for something like $50 - well worth it!!! I still use it and I don't make diapers anymore.

Feel free to drop me a PM - I'll reply with my email address so you can email all the questions you can figure up!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by