Looking for quiet chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Texas001, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Texas001

Texas001 New Egg

Nov 29, 2016
    Are there any roosters that don't crow a lot?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2016
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] It's almost guaranteed that ANY rooster will aggravate someone in your neighborhood. Sadly, that's just how people are. Also why I bought my 11 + acres on what was then a dirt road 50 + years ago. Now I am 'grandfathered' in more ways than one. [​IMG]

3. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I'm just wondering why you even need a rooster? If you are in a housing area that doesn't allow them, and you get one anyway, that kinda sorta makes it tough on the next person who might want to get chickens. The HOA will figure, "You know what, we gave chicken owners a chance and they didn't follow the guidelines so now we're going back to the 'no chickens' rule for everybody."

You already know that you don't need a rooster in order to get eggs, and in most (not all, but most) situations with any predator issues the most a rooster can do is send out his alarm call, which a lead hen will do anyway if no rooster is present. Lots of times the rooster becomes the first to go into the jaws of a predator trying to protect the flock, and when he's out of the way they go after the rest. If you want a broody to raise chicks, you can always get some fertile eggs for her, but again remember that 1) You're exceeding the 5 chicken rule and 2) you have no way to know which of the ones that hatch will be girls and which will be boys. You could end up with mostly roosters and then you have to find homes for them before the noise starts.

It sounds like your Kramer was a great rooster, so it's no wonder you'd like to have another experience like that. But there are no guarantees! Temperament, while it can be inherited, just can't be predicted in any breed. Some roosters love to be snuggled and cuddled and are very friendly until the hormones kick in. Some are good with one or two people but anyone else coming around is viewed as a threat and is fair game. A lot of handling doesn't always mean that you'll end up with a friendly rooster - what you may well end up with is a rooster who has no respect for you.

There really is no way to tell which hens or roosters will be noisy. Breed guidelines are a generality but again, there are no guarantees. I have a Silkie rooster, supposedly a rather quiet breed on the whole, who can knock down a 747 when he gets going. (Yes, King Tut, I'm talking about you! [​IMG]). Many hens have a loud, rather obnoxious egg song when they lay. <sigh> Yep, got some of those, too.

I'm sorry, I know this is not what you want to hear, but you really don't need a rooster and technically you can't have one anyway according to your post. Why not just get 3 pullets, which leaves you some room for a couple more if you find that you really enjoy them and the neighbors and the HOA are staying happy? I'm sure you want another Kramer, and if there was a specific breed I could point you to which would result in the same behavior I'd be doing that instead of trying to say otherwise.

And welcome to BYC....

2 people like this.
  4. AllynTal

AllynTal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2014
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    I agree with Blooie. You'll be one of those people that ruin it for everyone if you try to hide a rooster. I have a flock of Delawares. A breed characteristic is that they are calm, docile birds, and generally they are. The inspector who came to test my flock for NPIP certification commented on how calm the flock was, and I figure she would know since she visits a LOT of flocks. The roosters, however, are roosters. They crow loud and long (I have two) and if a rooster in the distance answers them, a conversation is started between them that can last for an hour or more.

Now, I have been told that silkie roosters crow, but have a very soft crow so they aren't as obnoxious as big-breed roosters, but again, you'll be ruining it for everyone if you aren't supposed to have a rooster. Get five hens. No matter what rooster you get, it won't be Kramer and you'll be disappointed. If you can only have five birds, why waste one of those slots on something that you'll have to feed but won't give you an egg?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  5. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Um, King Tut didn't get the memo! [​IMG]

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Nor did the Blonde Bomber.

7. Texas001

Texas001 New Egg

Nov 29, 2016
    The HOA has no rule against roosters. I

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  8. AllynTal

AllynTal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2014
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    I didn't notice that anyone was "half-cocked" and if they were, it was from a lack of information. You didn't give us all the facts, did you. I'm not accustomed to owners having an HOA if the property is 9 1/2 acres. That isn't usual where I'm from. That would have been a good piece of information to include in your original post. When folks are dealing with an HOA, it is usual that roosters are forbidden and the main concern is bothering the neighbors; so you didn't explain how your situation is different.

I'm not sure how well it's going to work raising chicks if you can have only 5 adult birds, unless you plan to process the extra cockerels and pullets for the dinner table. Rehoming that many birds given the time restraints just doesn't seem feasible, but it's your show so whatever.

Delaware roosters crow a lot and very loud and frequently start crowing between 1am and 3am so that might not be a good choice for you.

9. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I most sincerely apologize for misreading your original post. And speaking for myself, I'm not one bit upset with anyone! In written communication sometimes the intent of a message or post isn't conveyed as well as we can do when we can use our body language, our hands (especially me on that one) and facial expressions, plus we can't always immediately say, "Oh, you misunderstood me" and correct the erroneous assumption at the time it's made. Instead we have to wait until we can get back to a thread, and by then the mistake can get blown out of proportion!

I did offer some advice, though, and that advice stands. There simply is no hard and fast guarantee that you will get a quiet rooster or quiet hens. It just is what it is, and I am sorry for that. I again apologize for misreading your original post and wish you all the best of luck!

Edited to add: I have had more than one occasion when I shorted out my own fuse and had to just relax and know that I'm not being judged as a person. You'll be fine here, I promise!

1 person likes this.
  10. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    In addition, one rooster for 4 hens may be too much. The recommended average hen to rooster ratio is about 10 hens per one rooster. Some boys need all lot more than that, some are just fine with a few hens. Like the noise level, it is more to do with the individual rooster. And even hens can be very loud. There are absolutely no guarantees for a quiet flock, no matter what the breed.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by