LOOKING FOR QUIET EGG LAYERS!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by RIVERA69R, Aug 6, 2008.

1. RIVERA69R

RIVERA69R Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    VENICE FL
    I live in town so want chickens of the docile quiet type that have a good laying history any suggestions? thanks

2. redkan

redkan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Central Maine
    I've had barred rock, buff orpington, americauna/easter egger, silver laced wyandotte and rhode island red (plus bantam easter eggers) and my favorites would have to be the barred rock then the silver laced wyandotte. Both were very mellow chickens and easy to be around but the BR was the better layer of the two, providing at least one egg/day.

3. RIVERA69R

Jun 9, 2008
    VENICE FL
    Thanks for the reply what about the buff orph?

4. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    My BO girls are the loudest layers I have. Full on 5 minites of clucking after every egg.

5. IloveTravis

IloveTravis Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2008
    I don't know, my buff is pretty noisy [​IMG]

My brahmas and my wyandottes are pretty quiet though. They're also adequate egglayers [​IMG]

6. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    I don't think there is such a thing as "quiet egg layers".

7. RIVERA69R

Jun 9, 2008
    VENICE FL
    Well true no chicken is completely quiet maybe to general a title lol, but thanks for the replys I have privacy fence around my yard anyway except one side is chain link and I already told those neighbors about my idea and they were cool, just have to mention fresh eggs and their in! But I do want a breed or an assortment of somewhat frendly ones for my son to be around hes all excited. So everyone have a good day and feel free to share your ideas thanks

8. Lea71

Lea71 Chillin' With My Peeps

My black australorps seem to be the most vocal. [​IMG]

9. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    I have raised more than a few breeds and the Barred Rocks were the all around favorite. They were very friendly, quiet and excellent layers. I did have a Partridge Rock as well and she was probably the most quiet of all but she was a bit timid and she did go broody once a year.

10. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    This very much depends on your tolerance. Buff Hooligans said that there is no such thing as quiet egg layers. She's dead right. These are pretty large birds, to be honest, and they have voices. Some make more noise than others, but none of them are silent.

I'd add that there is little way to know what individual chickens will do in the way of noise, either.

Most hens from common dual purpose breeds seem to be pretty mellow, but even they occasionally:

squawk
    begaaaawk
    gaaaak!
    broccckk!

.... and so on.

This says nothing of the high strung breeds like Banties, Mediterraneans and Games. They can be terrors in their own right.

The last straw is a dominant alpha female who adopts the role of rooster. Then you could have a "hen crower" on your hands.
    These femmes will wake the dead sometimes with their screeching 'sorta-crow'... I mean, banshees have nothing on them.

I recommend that you keep your birds in their own area with lots of cover shrubs and shady spots. Keep annoyances like screaming kids, yapping dogs, lawnmowers and so on away from them. Ditto cats and other predators - this tends to keep them relatively calm.
    Give them LOTS of room; don't confine them tightly at all.
    And plan to get a few extras with a bail out plan for the ones that are too noisy to suit you.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by