Looking for recommendations on a SOLAR fence charger

Trish1974

Araucana enthusiast
5 Years
Mar 16, 2016
North Central IN
My Coop
My Coop
I am starting a new run that is too far from any electrical outlet, so I am looking into a solar charger. I had a Par-mak solar charger about 10 years ago when I had horses, but the price tag on those are in the upper $200s. I really don't want to pay that much as I've already spent too much money on the new coop and run as it is. I found one at the farm store at a decent price (its a Zareba, and I like that brand) but the joule on it was 0.06. I know that is not the same as voltage, but will it have enough juice to deter a fox or coyote? I am looking to surround a 50' x 60' area. I have good soil for grounding.

I can't help on solar as I have AC. Is there anyway you can run an electrical line to where you want to put your fence charger? I have a .5 joule which puts out around 4500 volts and a .9 joule which puts out around 9000 volts. I can tell the difference when I touch them. The .9 joule will make my heart skip a beat. A friend of mine had solar but had more issues with it and he too ran an electric to where he was installing his fence charger. My pens are 60' x 200'. I considered solar but ran the electricity to my barn and have a good heavy duty cord going to the coops and the charger is mounted on the side of a coop. The other charger is on another coop, but there the power is coming from our greenhouse. The electrical wire to the barn is underground but the electric from the greenhouse is on a couple of poles and goes across our gardens. Good luck...

I am starting a new run that is too far from any electrical outlet, so I am looking into a solar charger. I had a Par-mak solar charger about 10 years ago when I had horses, but the price tag on those are in the upper $200s. I really don't want to pay that much as I've already spent too much money on the new coop and run as it is. I found one at the farm store at a decent price (its a Zareba, and I like that brand) but the joule on it was 0.06. I know that is not the same as voltage, but will it have enough juice to deter a fox or coyote? I am looking to surround a 50' x 60' area. I have good soil for grounding.

I'm in the same boat as you. In need of a whole kit for about a 40 x 40 area for all my birds. Hope somebody out there knows of a good cheap one to use.

For most of the solar fence chargers, they have to be kept weed free. Any weeds and grass that touch the wire will impede it. The shock is more like a bee sting. I use the electric chargers. Several years ago we put electric in our barn and since the coops are behind the barn, I put in a line to the coops. Most electric chargers can have some weeds and grass touching the wires but it will also impede the current too but not as much as a solar charger.
For small animals, https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/zareba-2-mile-solar-fence-charger
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=solar+fe...515581&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_5hz6o6c08z_e

I've read in older posts members saying they can't find a solar charger that packs a punch like an electric unit, so I am considering burying a line out to the new run. It will be a PITA but I'm needing to repel fox and coyote.

This is what I put up. I tried it my self. It gives a pretty good shock, enough so I have no desire to try it again. I put in a 4' ground rod to make sure grounding will stay good.
3.jpg

I've read in older posts members saying they can't find a solar charger that packs a punch like an electric unit, so I am considering burying a line out to the new run. It will be a PITA but I'm needing to repel fox and coyote.
How far is far? I was in a similar predicament. Mounted the charger inside the barn and ran about 200' of hot wire 10-12' up on posts. Ran it over the driveway, over the garden... high enough up to keep it out of the way. Use covered wire where it might be touched by trees blowing in the breeze.

Back
Top Bottom