Looking for recommended hatcheries for small order

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by sharone, Jun 23, 2008.

1. sharone

sharone Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2008
    Wichita
    I want 4 healthy exotic breed pullets. Can you recommend a good hatchery that does not have a minimum requirement? Thank you!

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Ideal Poultry has a minimum dollar amount, not a minimum number of birds.

3. PulletSurprise

PulletSurprise Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Salem OR
    Mypetchicken does not have a minimal order. I've never tried them though. They just didnt have everything I wanted.

www.mypetchicken.com

Good luck!

4. grace6691

grace6691 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2008
    GA
    Ideal Poultry is being weird right now though - most of the chickens are sold out.. why do you guys think that is?

5. SueNH

SueNH Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2007
    It's getting real hot in Texas now. Lots of birds will slow down laying when they are close to broiling temps. They were out of a lot last year too at this time. I notice because birds I'd like are often out by the time I warm up enough outside to not have house peeps for ages.

Also people are a little worried about the economy and what comes next. Chickens are cheap livestock that provides eggs and meat with little investment. You don't need acres and acres to feed and keep them.

I know our feed stores here that order them can't keep up this year. Lot of new comers and people who kept chickens ages ago and are starting again.

There are also a host of folks who have discovered a couple hens make affectionate, amusing pets. $500 - $1000 for a puppy or 5 bucks for a chicken.

I'd order from Ideal and sell the extras. Order all pullets and you won't lack takers.

6. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    I got mine from Meyers Hatchery in Ohio. I had all very healthy birds and came a day early even! Maybe not show quality but certainly pretty close if that matters.

7. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    The ONLY place I know of that will do small orders is MyPetChicken.com

their website has a lot of good info and such on it as well.

I've never personally ordered from them but I'm sure plenty of people on here have.

8. grace6691

grace6691 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2008
    GA
    I just made an order from mypetchicken.com and it seemed great but they haven't told me when to expect my chicks and I've sent them two emails and they haven't responded so I'm getting a little worried.. I'll call in a few days if they still haven't replied

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by