1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Looking for RIR or Barred Ply. Rock

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by bizzeeb60, Oct 21, 2008.

1. bizzeeb60

bizzeeb60 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2008
    Frostproof, FL
    Does anyone have any information of someone selling RIR or Barred Plymouth Rock in the Central Florida Area.. We are looking for either of these two breeds so we can have some GOOD laying hens. We would prefer them to be just about ready to start laying or already laying.

Unfortunately the OEG/mix we were given for free just do not seem to be good for laying (at least not so far.)

Info will be truly appreciated....

2. Bhudgens

Bhudgens New Egg

Jan 8, 2009
    Hey, I'm new to the forum, but have kept chickens for years. We have, in Clermont, FL, some very nice barred Plymouth Rock hens (and roosters, if you want them to breed). They did stop laying, briefly in late October, but when I put a 60w bulb out in the chicken coop, we were back up to 95% egg laying within two weeks. I was giving eggs away in December...from only six hens! I have purchased more chicks from the same breeder back in October, and the young pullets are growing quite nicely. Let me know if you still have a need.

We also have Delawares that look like Delawares and are rather nice birds. And some Americanas, but, of course, it's a mixed bag of fruit with those girls! And then there are the Toulouse geese! Eight eggs in the incubator right now with a "hopeful" hatch date of Feb 17-18.

3. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I have some nice Barred Plymouth Rocks.

I only have 4 left, but am still hoping to sell hatching eggs this spring and hatch some for myself this fall.

Here is a photo of one of my "worst" ones:
    [​IMG]

The others are very young...only 4 months old, but I will give a link to their photobucket page.
    http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g259/jrsygntbrdr1/Poultry/Barred Rocks/

Pine Grove has some of the best RIRs I've seen in quite awhile. I'd PM him and get on his egg list if I were you! (I'v already hit him up on it! lol!)

4. bizzeeb60

bizzeeb60 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2008
    Frostproof, FL
    Quote:How much are you asking for the Barred Rock Hens? PM me to let me know alright

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by