Looking for Roof Suggestions

capebird

Songster
12 Years
Apr 13, 2011
Cape Cod
I'm building a coop and run. For the coop, I'm using
plywood and asphalt or cedar shingles for the flat roof.
For the run there is a flat section which I'll cover with
hardware cloth. I'm looking for suggestions for the
other roof section for the run....I'd like to do something
other than ply and shingles... any thoughts? Thank you.
Please see attached.
coop-layout-vs2.jpg

That looks like it will be airy enough that a clear or translucent plastic roof would work well. You'd have to run crosswise stringers to screw it onto, but, that'd probably be what I'd do. Polycarbonate, NOT pvc.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

I am in the middle of drawing out my coop and my thoughts are if you use cedar shingles then use some older reclaimed metal roofing if you can find it. I really like the way the metal roofing looks. I have an barn just down the street from me that just colapsed. I am going to stop buy and ask about some material. Good luck with you project!

Quote:
This is exactly what I have over a 10 foot area over my run in white corrugated roofing that I got at Lowes. I tossed a gutter on it and it feeds my rain barrel which I use to water the girls since I don't have water access by the coop. Works great, and the roofing material is really easy to work with and install. I'd never done it before and it was a total no-brainer.

Quote:
This is exactly what I have over a 10 foot area over my run in white corrugated roofing that I got at Lowes. I tossed a gutter on it and it feeds my rain barrel which I use to water the girls since I don't have water access by the coop. Works great, and the roofing material is really easy to work with and install. I'd never done it before and it was a total no-brainer.

Y'all need to be aware there are three types of white (or clear, or colored) non-metal corrugated roofing.

1) there is the old-style fiberglass roofing, where you can see all the individual squiggly strands in it. This lasts moderately well, gives you real bad fiberglass splinters if you have to work with it when it's older, and I have not been able to find any for sale for many years now. (Maybe some places still sell it, but certainly not many).

2) there is PVC corrugated plastic roofing (Palruf, and other brand names). This is the cheap stuff. It performs like cheap stuff, too. It is very brittle, hail will punch holes in it and it carries no warranty against that damage, it does not do well at *all* in very hot temperatures (e.g. if installed atop plywood) or in temperatures much below freezing, and even in moderate temperatures with no hail and little wind it will not last all that long, especially as roofing.

3) then there is polycarbonate corrugated plastic roofing (Suntuf, and other brand names). This is typically a little more expensive than metal roofing, about twice the cost of PVC roofing, but it is almost as durable as metal and VASTLY moreso than PVC. It is quite tolerant of extreme heat and cold, is usually warranted against hail damage, and lasts a good long time.

You need to be aware of this when shopping because a lot of people who end up dissatisfied with the performance of their plastic roofing turn out to have unknowingly purchased the cheap PVC without understanding its limitations.

The rest of the people who end up dissatisfied with the performance of their plastic roofing are people who did not obtain a copy of the manufacturer's installation pamphlet that gives you all the necessary specs for support, overhang, use of the wavy filler strips, proper fastener specs, and proper fastener installation. It matters A GREAT DEAL to install this stuff correctly vs incorrectly and it is not something you can just make up as you go along and expect a durable result.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

thanks all for the help.

After a lot of consideration, I think I'm going to stick with my original thought
of 1/2 inch ply underlayment and cedar shingles on top. Doing it this way,
I can wrap the wire cloth coming up from the sides of the run
up over the ply and screw it down to the plywood
and then cover the seam with the shingles. This way I'll get a good
closure between the sides of the run with the roof with the wire cloth.

thanks.

Back
Top Bottom