Looking for sand for chicken run in Mass.

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by shay20, Oct 25, 2009.

1. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Hi, we are doing new coops and new runs, and we are looking for sand or if any one knows were we can get some sand for free or cheap by the truck load, or bags ect. it is for our new chicken runs.
    We live in Mass.
    If any ones i would love to know. [​IMG]
    Thank you. [​IMG]

2. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    If you have access to a public area on a river, just go get some there, what we do..You may need to check local laws there first to make sure there's nothing wrong with it, it's fine to do here.
    Or call your local cement plant, we have 3-4 here. You can buy it by the ton, picked up or delivered not too expensive and saves a lot of shoveling!

3. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Quote:I would contact ventura grain in taunton. Im right down the street from there. They have trains coming in every week with who knows what ( other than grain). If there is a cheap place to get it, they would know, or it would be them!
    Good Luck

4. shay20

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Quote:yea i would not want it from my beach, unless i find a local small one, our big beach is blah, they have those tiny black biteing flies.

hmmm local plant. i will checkl out, thanks. [​IMG]

5. shay20

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Quote:I would contact ventura grain in taunton. Im right down the street from there. They have trains coming in every week with who knows what ( other than grain). If there is a cheap place to get it, they would know, or it would be them!
    Good Luck

I will try to contact them tomorow, thank you. [​IMG]

6. GardenerGal

GardenerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2008
    Massachusetts
    It's illegal to remove sand and rocks from public beaches, rivers, and other sources. If it's just a couple buckets full, I think that wouldn't be a legal issue, but a truckload is definitely one!

It would be better to get the owner's permission to dig sand on a private property.

7. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Quote:We live on a lake and a river cuts threw our yard. We cant even plant a bush anywhere from like 30 feet from it. And cut down a tree, your fined like crazy. My chicken coop is actually too close to the river but than god nobody has said anything....these safety people go way overboard.

8. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    WOW,
    Glad I live in Georgia. Beaches true, but no one cares if you get a little off a sandbar on a river here. Now like yall said, a truck load may be different! LOL
    I'd try the concrete plant if they are that strickt there then.

9. shay20

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    yea i know, i think i found a place here in winthrop.
    thank you every one. [​IMG]

10. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Great,
    By the way, just read your info on the fire, I sure hate that!
    We do have a lot of what is on your wish list, will be this spring though as we are sold out of 09 's already, we have a good variety of polish, black and blue sumatras, white and silver duckwing (excellent) phoenix, and many more all in bantam
    Aubrey

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by