looking for sheep in NC

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by birdbrain5, Jan 18, 2011.

1. birdbrain5

birdbrain5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    Hi, Im looking for sheep, any breed really. I'd like a couple females and maybe a ram. I cant seem to find many in my area, and prices are high. Im only looking for them for pets so I really dont want to pay much. Back where I used to live up north people would give them away, or very cheap. If you know of any leads I'd appreciate it! Im near Monroe, NC [​IMG] thanks!

2. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    Check my herd out i raise Jacob sheep in RI...Not going to find many people willing to "give away" their livestock tho, takes a great amount of effort to grow them and keep them healthy, as it will for you too. I chose this breed for is hardyness and its a rare heritage breed needing replenishment on the east coast. It was very exspensive for me to get started now i have a quality flock of sound breeding animals to work with and can offer my offspring for sale and fetch decent prices from others also enthusiastic about this great breed.

Here is my biggest ram. Hes my favorite and halter trained, his name is oliver

[​IMG]

3. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    Quote:Try Pet finder ... they have tons of sheep up for rescue all the time... they are generally not allowed to be bred, FYI. But if you're looking for just pets that's where I'd go.

Or, you can check with a local lamb farm in the spring and see if they have any that need bottle fed. They'll generally sell those cheaper.

A ram may not make as good a pet once their hormones kick in... and they can get big!

4. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    Quote:Wish I could buy Oliver off you..he's a handsome devil!

5. bufforps

bufforps Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2008
    NC
    I got this forwarded to me today from an email list I am on:

Subject: Free To Good Home: Katahdin Ram looking for new home

Due to personal reasons I am having to rehome most of my animals. Jello is a Katahdin ram . He's around a year old and friendly on his own terms. He gets along with everything and is not aggressive at all. I need to find him a GOOD home that will not eat him as he is/was my little boys pet sheep. He is located in Mount Pleasant, NC near Concord. If interested, please email [email protected]

6. birdbrain5

birdbrain5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    thank you! i emailed her

7. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    thank you im expecting lambs any day now!!!! weeeeeeeee

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by