looking for signs

Discussion in 'Quail' started by rita2paul, Mar 4, 2017.

1. rita2paul

rita2paul Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    the quails are now 1 week old, i clean their pen out everyday as they sure can poo.
    anyway i am looking for signs to see if they are male or female, and have noticed a few standing tall on their toes shouting, now is that them just calling out a warning to the others as i am in the room or is it because these could be boys.
    anybody has any thoughts on this, or has anyone noticed their quails doing this.

2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Are they Pharaoh coloured? Those are auto sexing colours and it would be very VERY simple to tell males to females once you get most of the chest feathers in. What kind of quail are they? I know I've had some coturnix quail males who can act like that but I have also had female and male button and bobwhites do alarms and warning like that :)

3. rita2paul

rita2paul Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    hi thanks for your reply. i have a mix of quails tuxedo, pharaoh and coturnix. some i think i will be able to feather sex but the white and cream one's i will have to wait until they crow i suppose.

4. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Wait, you have cotournix in the colours of pharoah and tuxedo, not cotournix and other kinds of quail right? And yes, most other colours dont vary enough to tell so you will either have to vent sex or wait until they crow :)

5. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    I notice my males, from 3 weeks old, will start to say a low "rib, rib" sort of noise, whereas the girls keep the higher pitched cheep.

6. dianneS

dianneS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    I had a few of those babies that would stand up tall and shout to the others. Still no idea if they were males or not and they are now four weeks old.

I just figured those birds were the leaders, and they're plotting world domination? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by