1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Looking for Smooth Splits Without the Silkie Look

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by NewBreeder, Mar 29, 2012.

1. NewBreeder

NewBreeder Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2012
    Massachusetts
    I am not sure if this is the proper place to start this thread but here goes.

I see multiple silkie crosses being made.

I am looking for something a little different other than what is being produced

At first I thought a smooth split was a normal feathered bird with the hookless trait visible but not the
    silkie feather traits other than the hookless gene visible.

Now as I understand a smooth split is a normal feather bird with the hookless gene but does not display that trait.

Does anyone have any birds that show the hookless trait without the silkie look?

In my opinion the feather type and shape has more going on in a silkie than just the hookless trait.

Many times for silkies the barbules count is less and much longer/wider than normal feathers in addition to the shape of them.

So if you have such birds could you let me know or let me know how to produce such a bird

Thanks

2. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    there is a thread on here about a silked americauna. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/98335/whats-wrong-with-their-feathers

there are also silked sermas.
    I have none of these but I have frizzled silkies (sizzles) and a smooth version which looks like a mini polish
    [​IMG]

3. NewBreeder

NewBreeder Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2012
    Massachusetts
    thanks I have been discussing this with other breeders here is a pic similar to what I am looking for

[​IMG]

this is a non silkie type with the hookless gene visible as found at feathersite.com

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by