1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Looking for some advise I have an older (6 weeks) but tiny chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Imagica5, May 7, 2011.

1. Imagica5

Imagica5 Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2011
    AZ
    I have one I am a bit worried about it looks like it is growth retarded it is 6 weeks old now but is only the size of a 3 week old chick it eats fine but hasn't really gotten any new feathers so it looks a little bald. I also had to splint its feet the outside toes curled under now its feet look normal but it still doesn't walk properly but doesnt have any real trouble getting around to the food and water. I have a picture but as a new member it wont let me post it. Does anyone have any expirience with this? I have another frizzle chick from the same batch that looks huge next to this one. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it, thanks

Best wishes,
    Leah

2. Imagica5

May 7, 2011
    AZ
    Hi I can post the picture now here are a few of the small chick the third picture is of the other frizzle chick which is about 6 times the size of the tiny one though you cant really tell in the picture

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Sometimes they just fail to thrive. He might pull through though, esp. since he has made it to 6 weeks old. I have one right now that is very small and grows very slowly. It just happens sometimes, not really much you can do about it, other than make sure they have plenty of food and fresh water. Scrambled eggs, peanut butter and oatmeal is a good mixture of protein for them. I also use an Ultimate Vitamin from Foy's Pigeons that is really good and very reasonably priced too.

4. Imagica5

May 7, 2011
    AZ
    Yeah that was what I was thinking too I was just hoping there was something else I could do. The chick is on a game bird starter feed that has I think 20% protein and I have been boosting their water with pro-biotics too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by