looking for some good starter chickens ideas?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by dogkennelcoop, Jan 25, 2015.

1. dogkennelcoop

dogkennelcoop Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2015
    Hey i had four chickens lost them to a pit bull and are buliding a dog proof coop it can hold 25 chickens what are some good breeds for egg laying i live in Georgia

2. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    I like our Buff Orpingtons. They are great starter birds.[​IMG]

3. farnorth

farnorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2013
    Upper Michigan
    If I was going to get 25 chickens for egg production I would get Red Sex Links and California Whites or since you are in a warm climate some Leghorns.

I would go with these as the hens are a little smaller than some breeds but still lay a nice full size egg....in fact Red Sexlinks often lay jumbo size eggs.

I like Buff Orpingtons too but they are a larger chicken and the larger the chicken the more they eat to produce an egg.

I never used to worry much about the size of the hen but after a couple years I am leaning toward the smaller hens (not bantams though)
    I'd rather have small hens laying large eggs than big hens laying medium or even small eggs. The worst were Speckled Sussex, they were big and ate a lot but only produced small eggs and fewer eggs too.

4. dogkennelcoop

dogkennelcoop Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2015
    Thanks so which of the smaller chickens do you like

5. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Orps are bigger but great layers. But I like sticking with heritage breeds so yeah... Barred Rocks are nice but all of ours ate eggs[​IMG]

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X2 on the sex links, but I personally prefer the Black Sex Links to the Red Sex Links. I've raised both sex link varieties for years, and my Blacks have been friendlier than my Reds, and slightly better layers in really cold winter weather. However, both of them are egg laying machines. The sex links have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year, and you can't go wrong with either variety. White Leghorns will match the laying rate of sex links, but they are high strung and flighty. My Leghorns cried bloody murder whenever I handled them (it's why I don't have Leghorns any more).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by