Looking for some Goose Information

Discussion in 'Geese' started by shaylabailey, Jun 10, 2011.

1. shaylabailey

shaylabailey Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    Rhode Island
    Hello;
    I'm a little interested in geese and may want one or two (most likely a pair) in a couple of months. I don't plan on looking until my ducks are grown but geese intrigue me and I was wondering what breed is good with ducks, friendly with people, and nice to look at. [​IMG]
    I've never had geese before so I'm completely new to this.
    Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Eroc1_1

Eroc1_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    Quote:We are in the same boat. I/we have decided that we will try Pilgrims and Sebastopol Geese. Pilgrims are supposed to be docile, calmer, and friendly.

3. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    i currently have a pair of embdens and they are such goofballs! i specifically raised them with my ducklings so they could be guardians to the ducks. they are very friendly and are always curious about what i am doing. they will follow me around if i am working outside and if i am in the house they will either sit on the deck under my kitchen window and talk to me or if they havent heard me in a while will sit at the door and "knock" until i come talk to them. i am expecting a pair of american geese this coming week and they will also be raised with ducklings [​IMG] i have heard americans, sebbies and pilgrims are all very calm. OH i will be getting shetland geese next year, i have heard wonderful things about them as well! imo if you want them to be friendly with ducks you should raise them with ducks [​IMG]

4. jojo@rolling acres farm

[email protected] acres farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    I keep Roman Tufted, Tufted Buffs and Sebastopol geese and they are great with people as well as other animals. Mine do not bother my chickens, chicks, ducks or ducklings. I love my geese! I have 25 and you would never know it. They free range all day and are locked away at night. They are very smart and separate themselves into two groups every night and go into the appropriate pens at nightfall and are locked into their barns. They never give me any trouble at all. The oldest ones of my flock are 4-5 years old and the youngest are 5 weeks and very, very cute!

I hope you enjoy your geese as much as I enjoy mine. Love 'em!

Joni

5. Eroc1_1

Eroc1_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    Quote:Shetlands [​IMG]

6. Sunwren

Sunwren Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2011
    Ocala, FL
    I have Africans and I LOVE them [​IMG] They are friendly and have never even begun to threaten a human though they do take great pleasure in teasing my dogs through the fence. They are very easy to deal with and a good size. I have 1 gander and 2 females and he takes great care of both them and the ducks that I have and helps me herd them to where they need to go. I used to have Chinese and don't recommend them, they are great if you just need something to eat bugs for you but they are too flighty and nervous for my taste. I have heard that Toulouse are very friendly too and after these two Saddleback Pomerian eggs hatch out (they are zipping now! yay!) and I see how I like them, I will probably try the Toulouse next. I bought my first geese on a whim while ordering ducks but have to admit that they are now my second favorite pets (my dogs being first of course)!

7. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    Quote:Shetlands [​IMG]

hehe, good match for the lil silkies huh?

8. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Dewlap Toulouse [​IMG]

Pete [​IMG]

9. toulouse2

toulouse2 New Egg

Jun 7, 2011
    Nassau County, NY
    I have a pair of toulouse geese that need a home. They were hatched May 2nd. They are very sweet. Let me know if you are interested!

10. goosemama

goosemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Forestville, New York
    I think I have just hatched a "chicken watchdog". I have had only two geese an Embden goose and a Brown Chinese gander and she laid only 2 eggs this year and left them so I stuck them in the Bator. One hatched Sunday along with a batch of Delawares, Turkeys and Barred Rock chicks. I put them together in a brooder cage straight from the incubator so the gosling has imprinted on them. Just received 4 Pilgrim goslings this week and he is the size of the youngest two. Put him in with them and he paced back and forth in front of the door peeping like crazy. We took him out & back with the chicks and he was happy. Two or three chicks sleep right on his/her back at night. When I reached in to pick up a chick to show a visiting friend - he went nuts. Ran up to the door. looked at me and peeped like crazy until I put the chick back in the brooder. Wow - this is great - think he will be a good watchdog to look after them when they get big enough to get out and free range. I'm delighted. Plan to keep him/her separate from my 4 Pilgrims anyway so they don't interbreed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by