1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Looking for some of those natural cures

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by HeatherLynn, Dec 21, 2010.

1. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    I love winter but I hate the cold. I cannot warm up at all and I stay painfully cold. It makes my bones hurt and it always has. I can remember being in my early 20's and going to a tanning bed and laying in a booth with all my clothes on simply because it was the only place I could think of that would be warm enough. I am not skinny so thats not the problem. I am 35 so I still have a long to dealing with this and I am about sick of it. Right now we are staying with my parents till the new house is built and they love the house in the 60's. I swear I am going to die. The only time I do not hurt is in the tub or under both my feather comforters. Yes both of them. One simply does not keep me warm enough. My body temp is usually like 96.9 to 97.2 Thats the normal range. I kept track of it for a while thinking thyroid but they did the stupid panel and said it was fine. I do run anemic at times. Well pretty much any time I diet or get pregnant. I have no heart issues, no blockages, no diabetes.

Ok so there is the background and the problem. Anyone have any ideas on what I can take that will help with this pain. Any natural things that I can take to up my body temp and ease these aches? I do stretches and qi gong and am pretty active so i don't think circulation is an issue. Again this has been an issue for years. I am willing to try almost anything.

2. babylady4

babylady4 Mother Goose

Mar 30, 2009
    Central WI
    I feel your pain! I too suffer in the cold and run almost anemic. Run those thyroid tests again, the 'standard' range the clinics use is not the range endocrinologists use. I fought with the doctors for years until they finally let me have the thyroid meds! I feel so much better now too!

Check out this link as well, you will find a ton of information you can arm yourself with to use at your next visit.

http://thyroid.about.com/

3. HeatherLynn

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Actually I just pulled out my blood test results that my doctor has sent me and she only tested the tsh and nothing else so who the heck knows. I pulled it out just to make sure she checked for anemia but found nothing. No clue what I am looking for but nothing jumped out. I just want something to help with the pain of the cold. Literally my bones hurt and it nothing you can take a pain pill for. The only thing that makes the hurt stop is lots of warmth. Everything I read says to be more active and build head producing muscles. I get much more active I will have to stop sleeping. frustrating.

4. babylady4

babylady4 Mother Goose

Mar 30, 2009
    Central WI
    You should have a full thyroid panel run; TSH, Free T-3, Free T-4, and your ferratin levels. Might not hurt to bump up your Vit D intake as well.

My worst TSH level is at 3.4, still not at the 'magic' 4.0 level they usually put people on the levithyroxine (sp?). Usually people are symptomatic and need supplementary thyroid at 2.5 levels.

5. HeatherLynn

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    I found a site that suggested putting pepper in my socks. Interesting but odd. I have a recipe for flu prevention that is cider, honey, cinnamin, cloves and lemon juice. I don't know what causes it but one of those ingredients sends my body temp through the roof but I can't live off it. Although that is under consideration this winter.

i already take vit d. My levels were low and that is her favorite supplement to prescribe. I also take vit b12 because supposedly my levels were low. I did find a note stating that I was mildly anemic but she never said anything to me so no clue there either. My TSH 3rd generation is actually very low. My test through my OB was only t4 and all they told me was that was borderline. It was suggested that all that would do would make losing weight harder. I don't know what most of that means really though. I depend on the doctors and I am still shopping for new ones that will actually tell me stuff.

6. believer01

believer01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Hey there, HeatherLynn! I know exactly how you feel cuz I was there a number of years back. Born and raised in Cleveland, Oh - and I so dreaded the winters cuz i just never could feel warm till April or so.

I am no expert, but I worked in a very customer friendly health food store for over 7 yrs - learned why God gave us 2 ears and only 1 mouth.....a person learns way more if they listen. I do believe that thyroid problems were the most misdiagnosed condition we saw there. See most docs only do one thyroid test, but there's another one that tells the real story, called a free 3. It's like if you have cake mix in the cupboard....until you add eggs and oil and stick it in the oven you don't have a cake. You can have plenty of the tsh (thyroid stimulating hormone) but unelss you convert it to the other its not helping anything. A further complication is that you can have really good number values of both and still have a problem....I did! My throid antigen test showed the reason my tsh was so good was that my throid was working overtime to keep me going and just about to give out. So please just consider that just b/c some test says you don't have aproblem doesn't mean that you don'g really have it.

I need to apologize before going any further - was up all last night with a sick horse and can't spell right now. I'm normally much better but please forgive me.

BAck to you - you can treat your thryoid yourself, and if it gets better that means that was the problem. If not, you won't hurt anything (the nice thing about natural meds is that they usually won't hurt even if they don't help).

Google natural thryoid rememdies or go to Mercola . com - he's got a great info site for natural.

I had Reynaud's syndrome for many years, that's where my hands and feet would be ice cold even in summer. Sometimes they'd get almost blue. Some peolles turn purple! I took Cayenne with Butchers Broom from Solaray for a couple years, 1 with ever ymeal and havne't had any problems since then!

Hope this helps! Cayenne powder in your shoes (not against your skin) can help with cold feet! Hot drinks, made from herbal teas do as well. Things like ginger are warming. Hang in there - we're past the shortest day of the year so maybe it'll start getting better soon! Blessings!

7. HeatherLynn

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    I am definitely going to get more tests done and I am going to ask this next doctor if he/she can do anything or suggest anything for anemia since it seems to be my long term issue. I had not read much on thyroid but reading it I think more testing might be a good idea. I am not so cold in the summer, just my nose. I always have a cold nose but my husband jokes that it means I am healthy.

I am going down to make myself the cider stuff again. It helps for an hour or so with the cold ( I actually feel like I am being burned alive at first wow). Maybe I will go to whole foods tomorrow and see what I can find to help with this. The pain for being so cold is slowing me down and I am not a slowing down type of person. My to do lists are too long for slowing down.

8. believer01

believer01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Good Morning!
    Hubby got home and took the night shift with our sick mare so I am a little more functional now. Both my daughter and I were also anemic. Once we started eating natural foods, and left off the processed stuff we got better. It took about a year. And we weren't eating any meat or dairy at that point b/c the organic was much too expensive back then (1990). Then I learned about a couple supplements that'll help much more quickly. The chlorophyll molecule is almost identical to human hemoglobin, which is the part of the blood that carried the oxygen. A lady in her 3rd trimester was seriously anemic and the dr prescribed an iron pill......her momma is a nurse and told daughter that she wouldn't be able to have a b.m. if she took that rx and sent daughter to us to get chlorophyll.....in 2 weeks she was back with drs report of perfect blood count! That quick!

There's also Flora-Dix, a liquid plant source of iron from herbs like dock. It's only good in the fridge for 3 weeks. Once my daughter reached 16 she refused to eat our healthy foods any longer and would junk up at friends houses or at work - she became anemic again! Imagine that! Anyway, she took the Flora-Dix that time and within just weeks got some color back in her nearly translucent skin, and the purple circles under her eyes disappeared. Of course, the energy level went way up, too.

Your body needs Vit C in order to utilize iron properly, so you may want to look at taking 2,000 - 4,000 mg of buffered (non-acidic) C as well. The bonus is that it can help prevent other illness! I like the powdered C that I can just mix in a morning juice with my fish and flax oils. I get one that has 5,000mg per teaspoon so its easy to measure and very economical. Just start with only 1,000 mg once a day and slowly increase cuz C can cause loose bowels if you suddenly start with larger amounts. I divide it into 2x a day since its water soluble and will flush out what you don't use in a few hours.

And then the foundation of everything should really be a good mult-vit/mineral forumla. That way your body has all its baseline needs met and can use the other things I mentioned for the anemia. The vits from mass merchandisers are a total waste IMHO - usually synthetic versions, minimal amounts. I prefer a liquid since I'm in my 50's and its easier to digest. I just put it in my juice as well. I use the Lifes Fortune or Source of Life, both are green so they turn my juice a lovely color (not!) but it tastes just fine - good enough to take straight if you prefer. Just be ready for the shift from going dead tired to energized!!!

9. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    I'm an acupuncturist and Chinese herbalist. We often burn an herb Moxa (artemesia or mugwort) during treatment to warm interior cold. You could probably find it on the internet or pm me. It comes in a cigar shape that you light and use over joints and also little stick ons that you put on specific acupuncture points. If you can find a good acupuncturist near you (NCCAOM certified in Chinese Herbology-- Dipl. Ch. Herbs) there are lots of herbal formulas that would help. They warm Kidney yang. You can google it. Look up moxibustion too. It's why I always smell like pot when I pick up my daughter from school. I shudder to think about what they think of me!

10. HeatherLynn

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    I have actually checked into accupressure. I have a complete terror of needles( I can't look at them or I end up on the floor) so I am still trying to avoid those. There are a couple not too far away but cost is always an issue. I don't even know the cost but i am afraid to ask. I figure if the option is there then I can keep that as a last hope. My husband disagrees but I do the bills so I worry about these things. I have seriously considered going though because honestly going to a regular MD is getting me nowhere but frustrated. My husband actually pulled out my supplements and did my weekly pill box for me today. ( I think he was hinting) I am on no medications just supplements. I was feeling a ton better when I was taking these but I stopped a month or so ago. I have no idea if any of this is really helping though. Some of it is at doctors suggestion and some suggested at health food store.

Vit d3
    omega complex omega 36 and I think it said 9 I have no idea. Chris did the studying on those but supposedly you need them balanced so just taking omega 3 is not great.
    selenium
    passion flower ( for anxiety which btw this stuff has really helped)
    blessed thistle
    and b12 supplements.

I don't take a multi vitamin. I cannot tolerate iron supplements to well so about the best I can do is take kids multivitamines. Instead I try to eat well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by