1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Looking for somebody who's been there....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by max13077, Feb 25, 2008.

1. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

I feel like a mother hen....[​IMG] Sorry that was bad.

My chicks are due next Monday. Would somebody take me through that first day?

I'll get us started...[​IMG]

Ring Ring!

"Hello"

"Hi This is Dave from the Homer Post office, we have your chicks. Would you come pick them up?"

"Hi Dave, I'll be right down. Thank you"

I drive down get the chicks and break every traffic law on the books to get home.[​IMG]

Now what? Wanna walk me through what to expect? [​IMG]

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

[​IMG] Oh, I think most of us have been there. First...unfortunately...expect casualties. There are not always casualties....and if you are prepared for them, and there are none, even better!!
    Have the brooder warmed up and ready. 95 Degrees....and have the paper towels down. Remember, no newspaper..or slick surfaces as this causes spraddle leg.
    Have the water ready...with marbles....pebbles in it.
    As you take them out of the packing box, dip each ones beak in the water, and set it down by the water dish. This teaches them where it is. After you get them all settled in....take LOTS of PICS!! We will want to see them all! [​IMG]
    Then, sit back...and enjoy! What breeds are you getting????

3. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    1st ....check your chicks before you leave the post office, if you have any that did not make
    it then you will have a witness, in case
    2nd...take them home and put them in whatever you are using for a brooder so they can
    warm up (you should have the brooder set up the day before you are to get chicks)
    3rd....Take each chick and dip it's beak in water, this shows them how to drink and where
    it's at
    4th.....next take each chick again and dip their beak in feed or if you want, you can just
    put feed on the bottom of the brooder and the chicks will find it (use news paper
    instead of shavings for about a week for the bottom of the brooder, later use pine
    shavings for bedding, never use cedar shavings!)

5th....keep the heat to one side of the brooder so that if the chicks get hot they can move
    away from the heat a little
    6th.....keep fresh water and feed for the chicks and don't let the papers get too dirty
    before changing
    7th.....decrease the heat by 5 degrees after the first week (1st week keep around 95 f)
    and continue to decrease by 5 degrees every week( for around 5 to 6 weeks) after
    this they should be ok without extra heat
    8th......HAVE FUN AND ENJOY

4. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    who dips the chicks beak in the water when the hen is raising them out in the barnyard?

5. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    In the hen house they have the example of older birds that is missing in the brooder environment.

6. K&H Chicken Farm

K&H Chicken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Redding CA
    Quote:The hen shows them how to drink.

7. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    After you have done all the things mentioned in the other posts you sit next to the brooder and watch. They are just so cute. They sleep alot and their little heads just fall over. Don't panic if you see one all sprawled out with its head beak down in the paper. The seem to just fall asleep whenever and whereever they are. Snuggling them helps too.

8. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

K&H Chicken Farm :

Quote:The hen shows them how to drink.

Yes the mumma hen will squark at them whilst showing them how to drink and eat when they are 2 days old.​

9. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

Cool! Thank you for putting my mind at ease.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by