Looking for someone to adopt doves

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Cubioh, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Cubioh

Cubioh New Egg

Jul 20, 2010
    Hello everyone,

I'm glad I ran across this place, because it seems like the members here really love their birds like family! [​IMG]
    And here is where I immediately need to ask a favor of the community (I'm sorry [​IMG] ).

I may have to move soon and I will not be able to take my doves along. I have tried looking to see if local shelters will take them, but the ones I have been able to contact and visit only deal with cats and dogs for the most part, and with the economy in the state it is, they seemed reluctant to take them on. I would never "set them free" because the little sweethearts would never survive out there. There are 11 ringneck doves, 1 of which I recently took in. She has a splayed leg but I haven't been able to devote any time to her. There is 1 tangerine male, 2 "wild colored" males and the rest are whites. They have had a room to themselves, with their own heating in the winter and cooling for the summer. They love safflower seeds and parakeet seeds (especially the ones with the multicolored pellets in them). They don't like the "dove seeds" as they're packaged in pet shops and prefer the parakeet seed packages + the safflower seeds. One of the Wild coloring males, Boo-Boo, is extremely friendly and will eat just about anything -- french fries, nacho bits, rice, bread, etc. One of the white females, Mommy, is obsessed with orange colored foods (i.e. cheese nachos) and loves them (small bits) as a treat. The rest don't really have any other particularities. [​IMG]

I am sincerely hoping that some people here will be able to offer them homes (need not all go together, though the ones that are paired up I would insist on staying together). I am located in Northern NJ. If you know of anyone even outside of the forums who may be looking to take some in, please, please, please let me know. I could never let them just go out in the wild and I haven't had much luck advertising for them in my local paper -- there have been people to see them, but I haven't been satisfied that they would care and love them as I hope (maybe I'm being picky?). There is no way for me to be able to take them when I move and I have no other options available to me. I am willing to travel to get them to you, within a reasonable distance, so please consider them if you live in the Northern NJ area, or even in the NYC area.

Thank you, and I hope I haven't come across as too dramatic [​IMG]

2. tigerrrrrrrlilly

tigerrrrrrrlilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I could do it... but I am in California. [​IMG] If you don't mind handling shipping and you think they would make it ok, I have room in my aviary which is also heated/cooled. I also provide mine with parakeet/finch food, fruits, veggies and greens daily.
    Thought I would offer just in case. I can take in just one or up to 5 more doves.

3. BeckyBird

BeckyBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    Aww, you are not too dramatic. We all love our birds here on BYC. I would take them in a minute, but I'm down here in North Carolina. I wish you and your doves the best of luck in finding a new home.

4. arherp

arherp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    Kentucky
    If they have not found a home, I can provide one.

5. Cubioh

Cubioh New Egg

Jul 20, 2010
    Hi again guys,

Thanks for the support, it's really appreciated especially because I've been so stressed about what to do! I still haven't found any place for them, though two people offered but then never followed up, so I don't know what's going on there. I've been doing some more research into any shelters or sanctuaries around my area that might take them, but from what I've read, most places will just euthanize them.

I would like to first see if anyone can provide a home within driving distance, but otherwise, Aherp and Tigerlilly, I would try to ship them over. I hear good things about services such as UShip (specifically for handling animals).

I really hate to be a leech, but if anyone here can spread the word or perhaps connect me with another place that I could try asking in it would be really helpful. I may be able to put off moving until more towards the end of the year, but I can't see myself paying for two places at the same time for too long with the way the economy is [​IMG].

Once again, thank you for all your help, consideration, and well wishes, I really do appreciate it.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  6. arherp

arherp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    Kentucky
    Quote:I can't give much on shipping, but if you can't find a local home I can certainly get to work on an aviary for them. I also have an insulated loft for them.

7. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Hope you can rehome them with someone good.I have only raised 2 doves myself.If you were closer I'd take them too.I still have some unused buildings which could be converted.Good Luck Hope you can place them soon.Please update Us on it.

8. animalbaby4everandalwyz

animalbaby4everandalwyz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    West Tennessee
    hello, I live in tennessee and would love to have doves...my boyfriend has had them before and i have a huge pen for them to fly around in ... top on it and everything...

If you dont mind shipping i am interested.....

9. Cubioh

Cubioh New Egg

Jul 20, 2010
    Hi everyone!

I wanted to thank everyone for their help and offers and wishes, and would like to let you know that the doves have found a new home! I found someone locally and the family were very happy to have them.

Thank you all once again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by