1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Looking for someone to butcher my chickens - Northeast PA

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Iamaqte, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Iamaqte

Iamaqte Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    Riegelsville, Pa
    Hey Everyone! I am looking to find someone local to butcher about 20 roosters I have. I have to cut down on my flock and I know they have to go. I am attached to them and cant do it myself. I should have done this a long time ago, but just didnt have the heart. Now they are hurting each other and "abusing" my hens and I know it is now time - I HAVE TO DO SOMETHING!

Does anyone know anyone local? I live in Riegelsville, Pa 18077. I am willing to drive with in reason to get this done.

I need to drop them off alive and pick them up bagged and ready for cooking. I am even willing to give the person some of them that are done.

They are large roosters and small roosters that area bout 10 months old - so i know the meet will not be great - but I am going to make lots of chicken broths and soups and what not.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks in advanced!
    ~ Patti

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  2. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    I don't know about where y'all live but the KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken) stores here have started an exchange program. Around back theres a slot you put the live chicken in, you get a card with a number then drive around front and go inside. Then you turn in your card, pay $2 processing fee and get a whole cooked, ready to eat chicken in return.

[​IMG]

3. marko15

marko15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2007
    Liberty, PA
    Here is a phone number of a guy who will process your birds, he is just outside of Lewisburg PA, his name is Eli Reiff, 570-966-0769

4. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    According to the map your closer to allentown? I dont know anyone but I do know that some of the Menonite near me raise chickens and will clean them if you ask them for yourself. Might want to try that or look in the yellow pages for meat processors, if they dont do it they may know someone who does.

5. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Don't have a clue, but wanted to say, in reference to ams3651's post, if you can get some mennonites to do it that would be a great choice. They are incredibly kind and treat all animals they slaughter humanely. Would certainly make me feel better. I had to give away a rooster recently and a mennonite family was the first choice (and thankfully wanted him for breeding). They are just wonderful people!

6. Iamaqte

Iamaqte Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    Riegelsville, Pa
    Just to let you all know I found a man who would do them for me through yahoo group I belong to. I called Robert Gerstenberger in Richlandtown last night. He is going to take care of my roosters for me for $2.75 a piece. He was the closest to my area and I work right in Quakertown so this works out nicely. He said he can probably do them sometime next week! Thanks again for everyone's help! I have been looking for the passed 6 months and couldn't find anyone. Thank you all again for all your help!! ~ Patti

Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  7. trulyviolet

trulyviolet Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2008
    hi, is it possible to get the number of the guy in quakertown to do poultry?
    that is only about an hour from my house

thank you so much

vi

8. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Quote:lol, i was thinking the same thing. 2.75 each is probably easier than doing them myself. [​IMG]

9. trulyviolet

trulyviolet Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2008
    bump hoping for a reply

vi
    the drakes are fighting and i got hens that need to be done

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by