looking for someone to care for my chickens over the holidays.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by gabriellebw, Dec 6, 2009.

1. gabriellebw

gabriellebw Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2009
    My husband and I live in Eugene Oregon. We will be in the UK for two weeks over the holidays visiting my husband's family. We are at a loss as to what to do with our three 8 month old girls (one bard rock and 2 rhode island reds). We have tried to find people to care for them at the house but everyone seems to be going out of town as well. Is there anyone in the area who would be willing to take them in for two weeks (has a set up that will allow them to do this?) I know it is a strange request but we don't know what else to do!

2. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    Sorry, can't help, live in WI But maybe you can post in the Oregon thread ( I assume there is one...check the "Where Ae You....." section) or at least repost with your location? Good luck!

3. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Check with a local 4H group, or maybe a scout group.

4. diamonk

diamonk Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2009
    North Bay - California
    I'm in CA so can't help but i had this same problem earlier in the year and contacted the 4-H lead which led to a good chicken-sitter. The kids are always happy to make some extra money and/or you can donate to the 4-H club itself! Good luck!

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'll call my BIL tomorrow. His mother is from the UK and (They live in Eugene)

Don't know if they would have facilities or not.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Just got off the phone...

Nope they can't help you.

I tried.

7. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    When we were down in Southern California and had our house on the market, it had to be tented so all living critters had to be out for 3-5 days, even outside ones. i called everywhere, boarding kennels, vets offices, no luck. i finally posted on craigslist in the Pets section and someone referred me to a friend who gladly took in my 12 girls, and even kept them through the sale of our house, a total of two weeks. She was an angel. Try craigslist, there are some good people on there.

8. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    If you get really stuck and can get them up here p.m. me. I'm in Olympia, WA so a bit of a drive, but maybe not too far. I have a 4x4 dog kennel I use for teenagers and quarantine that is covered and 2x fenced. They could also free range in the back yard (if you're good with that) during the daytime and still be well seperated from my flock in the pasture.

The 4-H clubs are probably your best/easiest option though.

Shannon

9. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Have you called the local vets' offices... vet techs often make a bit of money on the side pet-sitting (that is, stopping by the pets' houses once or twice a day), at least if enough money is dangled in front of them. Worth a try anyhow.

Also have you asked at the feedstore. Again, mention of paying whatever the person wants would be a good idea, but they may know someone who'll be around over Xmas (perhaps due to their *own* livestock) and would be game to top up next year's christmas fund [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

10. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    Go to McMurray's store online and get a feeder that holds 50 Lbs of feed......get 2 of them if you feel safer. And get the 8 gallon waterer. Stop giving them layer's pellets, because you won't be there to pick up the eggs anyway. Just give them cracked corn in one and maybe oats or wheat in the other. Fill the entire feeder with as much grain as it can hold the morning you leave and fill the water container also. You might need someone to check on them after a week and keep the eggs as a free gift, but I doubt if they would be out of feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by