looking for someone to process birds for me

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Akane, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I'm thinking of raising quail for a little meat but I really don't want to process them myself, I don't know any hunters, and I'm told processing plants won't do quail. So is there anyone close enough that would do around a dozen quail twice a year in exchange for some of the birds? I'm in eastern Iowa about 30miles east of iowa city. I asked around on a quail and pheasant forum and didn't get any responses so I'm trying a few chicken forums.

2. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Too bad you arent in PA. I would gladly do them for you. They are very very simple.
    [​IMG]

3. pdpatch

pdpatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Hastings, Nebraska
    This time of year go to the Local fair and stop by the poultry Barns/sheds and ask the exibitors there.

4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Fair is over and I'm not driving to state.

5. pdpatch

pdpatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Hastings, Nebraska
    Since quail is usually considered a game bird. Try going to some local hunting stores or gun stores, maybe and talk to the people there. Since Quail are smaller then a standard chicken most poultry places don't do them since it's not cost effective.

Since you in the midwest, most midwest states require a permit to raise native game species. So if you talk to the game and parks service they might inquire about that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by