Looking for something better!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 4theKids, Feb 8, 2014.

1. 4theKids

4theKids Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2012
    I'm looking for a heritage breed of chicken. I don't want to show them but I would like a breed that lays fairly well and l would butcher them when the time comes. Any suggestions on breed and where I could get them would be very appreciated. Thanks for any help.

2. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

My suggestion is to find out what breeds are available to you locally. There is nothing more frustrating than to research dozens of breeds, worry over your five favorite, narrow it down to two, then one, just to find that they are not available anywhere within hundreds of miles. Contact your local poultry club, or go to the closest show you can find and seek out local breeders and exhibitors. Another way is to talk to the local feed store and see is they know the local breeders. You can often get really nice dual purpose heritage birds very reasonably if you are not going to breed and show. They will be the ones that are not quite perfect enough to breed or show, but should live long productive lives and make nice coop decorations.

3. 4theKids

4theKids Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2012
    Thanks for a starting point? I'm starting with this so that helps.

4. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

My pleasure! Welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by