Looking for something different

Trooper Man

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 22, 2014
Hello everyone soon I will finally be getting some chickens. My first backyard chickens will be the Swedish Flower hens. I have room for 3-4 families at my place and I want to try something different. I want a good natured bird with color that is not flighty. I am looking for a started-adult trio to breed from. They will be kept pure. I do not want game chickens I had them and got rid of them all recently. I live in NE Tennessee so I would be willing to meet someone in East Tennessee, Western North Carolina, or SW Virginia to avoid shipping. I do not mind to pay but I cannot pay a ridiculous price. Send me a p.m with offers and maybe we could get something worked out. I prefer to have nice, quality chickens and want to try something not everyone has. I hope to hear some responses soon and private messages.

Anyone have any ideas?
I have had many different breeds.

If egglaying isn't important, the most docile breeds I have had are bantam cochins and silkies. Also d'Uccles and Japanese (and Nankins).

For good egglaying, I like Black Australops. They were not tamed by me and thus don't really seek out contact too much when I do my chores, but I prefer that over the Buff Orpingtons who were very clingy and always underfoot.

My Russian Orloff hens were very sweet also. Salmon Faverolles are very sweet (I only had hens).

Blue laced red Wyandottes are stunning, but I had a bad Silver Laced Wyandotte rooster years ago who made me not want any more Wyandottes. There are many who like Wyandottes though.

Please do go to feathersite.com and scroll through all their breeds, and look at Henderson's chicken chart (you can google for it). Also the breeds section of BYC to get ideas.

Some of these wonderfully beautiful breeds don't lay many eggs. Others are flighty. So if egglaying is important please do google "breed name eggs per year" to see what pops up. Try to find out how many eggs per year you will get on average.

Wheaten Ameraucanas are very nice- I had them before and wish I hadn't gotten rid of them. Some of the Easter Eggers are pretty tame and others flighty.

Thank you for the wonderful reply. I guess I should add I am going to get a large fowl breed and do not need any bantams. I looked at feathersite earlier as a matter of fact. Maybe I can get some offers from people who are wanting to sell and I can see what everyone has to let go of.

Thank you for the wonderful reply. I guess I should add I am going to get a large fowl breed and do not need any bantams. I looked at feathersite earlier as a matter of fact. Maybe I can get some offers from people who are wanting to sell and I can see what everyone has to let go of.
You are welcome!

Hopefully you get some more replies.

“The American Livestock Breeds Conservancy mission is to protect genetic diversity in livestock and poultry species through the conservation and promotion of endangered breeds. These rare breeds are part of our national heritage and represent a unique piece of the earth's bio-diversity. The loss of these breeds would impoverish agriculture and diminish the human spirit. We have inherited a rich variety of livestock breeds. For the sake of future generations we must work together to safeguard these treasures.” https://www.backyardchickens.com/#_edn1

“Breed information about Nankin Bantam Chicken, The Nankin is an ancient breed of fowl that is thought to be one of the oldest known bantam chickens. The bird’s initial point of origin is obscured in history going back beyond all known records. There is evidence that the bird arrived in England prior to the 1500’s and there is even speculation that it may have been present well before then.”[ii]

Conservators Nankin Bantam Fowl has a diverse breeding stock of pure bread Nankin Bantam Fowl. Breeding stock was collected from Alabama, California, Oregon and Washington . Our Nankin are rose comb and straight comb free ranging flock.

Carol Hansen 541-514-7693​

https://www.backyardchickens.com/#_ednref1 http://albc-usa.org/about.html
[ii] http://albc-usa.org/cpl/nankin.html

Back
Top Bottom