Looking for suggestions for building an outside brooder

racuda

Songster
11 Years
Oct 1, 2008
North Carolina
The peachicks are 3 weeks old now and are getting too stinky to be inside for much longer. I would like to build something out of wood and wire outside for them. There are 5 of them and it needs to be large enough to accommodate them until they are 3 or 4 months old.

Should the bottom be wire, or is sand okay? If it should be wire, then what size?

Last edited:
Should be wire, less chance of bacteria growing on a wire bottom than a solid bottom- also less chance of worms in a bottom without substrate. Plus, it's easier to clean.

I'm not certain about size of the wire. I would imagine 1/2 inch wire mesh, but mine lived inside til 3 months so someone else who raises them outside should chime in soon.

Our grow out pens are 3'x3'x12' long. I can place wire walls in them to make two 6' long sections. Back, roof, and end are plywood. Bottom and front is hardware cloth. Everything is painted with white high traffic porch paint. Hose on high cleans everything. That sticks to the wire. A rake under and DE or lime on the ground works for us. We will attach plywood drop panels on hinges for the winter incase we get cool enough to need to offer more protection.

I use these for chickens, call ducks, goslings, quail and now the pea's too

Last edited by a moderator:
we have 2 go out pens they have wire mesh bottoms chicken wire sides an tops an 1/3 is all boxed in with a light if we need it. we put sticks threw the wire so they can roost on them ours are 4ftwide 4ft high an 8ft long.

I used 1/4 inch wire on the bottom of my brooder. Seems like 1/2 inch would have been better. A lot of their feces sets on 1/4 inch instead of falling through. Live and learn I guess.

Hope this helps,
Walter

I have had raccoons ripe through hardware cloth so I would put 1*1in heavy duty wire then 1/4in hardware cloth. Leggs peafowl said that peachicks feet will somehow go through 1/2 in wire so you should use 1/4 inch.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom