Looking for suggestions for egg sellers online.

owlett5

In the Brooder
12 Years
Aug 15, 2007
Turner, Maine
My Eco 20 incubator is due to arrive this friday and I'm looking for a good place to get eggs. After my last experience with a guy that sold me three standard male coturnix quail claiming they were all both "jumbo" and "female", I've decided I can now confidently sex and process quail myself better than a stranger on craigslist. I'm looking to find someone that has true jumbo quail as I want the biggest eggs and meat birds I can find. I heard that James Marie Farms has large birds and good eggs, but also have read recently that he's unwell and probably won't be shipping eggs until spring.

So far I've seen a few places on ebay that sell eggs. Anyone purchase eggs from ebay and have good luck with decent sized birds and reasonable hatch rate?

I got some great birds from Turnbull Farms but they are out of stock. You might send them an email. There was a great thread comparing JMF birds to a California ebay seller who actually faired a bit better in weight compaired to JMF. Go way back in the threads and read that, but I don't see him on ebay right now. He charges a buck an egg. I read stellar has great birds but I don't know if she shipps eggs. PM her and ask about it or for suggestions. Good luck, craigslist can be frustrating, been there.

Be careful with ebay eggs. I ordered some, they arrived intact, but I only hatched 5 out of 26 (could've been my fault, but I'm not sure).

That doesn't bother me since I know shipped eggs are harder to hatch, what does bother is the fact that I have a very aggressive rooster that became mean literally overnight. He's hurting everyone else and I'm debating whether or not to cull him. He's making me pretty angry.

It's strange that the rest of them (one a few days younger, the rest are the same age) are showing no aggression, even though I think they're roosters too. I don't want to blame them for it, but I read jumbos are supposed to be nice.

They are an ok size, but I'm going with a good breeder next time, and hopefully I won't get a bunch of males.

This could just be my luck, I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the breeder.

Be careful with ebay eggs. I ordered some, they arrived intact, but I only hatched 5 out of 26 (could've been my fault, but I'm not sure).

That doesn't bother me since I know shipped eggs are harder to hatch, what does bother is the fact that I have a very aggressive rooster that became mean literally overnight. He's hurting everyone else and I'm debating whether or not to cull him. He's making me pretty angry.

It's strange that the rest of them (one a few days younger, the rest are the same age) are showing no aggression, even though I think they're roosters too. I don't want to blame them for it, but I read jumbos are supposed to be nice.

They are an ok size, but I'm going with a good breeder next time, and hopefully I won't get a bunch of males.

This could just be my luck, I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the breeder.

1000year, do you happen to know if that ebay seller is currently selling eggs so I can avoid them? And how much did your birds weigh?

I don't think they have a listing right now, I noticed they took off their listing after I bought mine. They aren't full grown, they're actually only 3 or 4 weeks old, which is why I can't believe how aggressive the one got. I don't have a scale, but they feel a little heavy to me for how young they are. I'm expecting them to get bigger though.

Just some advice: you may want to run your incubator up to temperature and humidity before you get your eggs so you won't have any issues and ruin them.
James

I agree. Make sure everything's set up right before putting anything in. I still had a couple dips in temp even after it was stable. You're supposed to let the eggs settle pointed end down at 55 or so degrees for 24 hours if they're shipped, too. I didn't do that for 24 hours, more like 8 hours or so, but the air cells looked fine. Good luck, hoping for a good hatch when you get your eggs.
smile.png

My Eco 20 just arrived today and I'm so excited! I'm getting eggs from Stellar Gamebirds (she's within a reasonable driving distance from me so I won't have to worry about mail handlers.) Her site is currently down, but if you use FB, you can reach her through her page.

I have never had Quail but I have had great luck with ebay eggs hatching. Just had one order that wasn't what it was suppose to be(out of 6 different hatches of 6 different breeds with 6 different sellers) but the seller apologized and I honestly believe it to be a legitimate mistake due to the fact that she sent 7 silkie eggs to make up for her mistake. When I say great luck, I mean like a 75% hatch rate. For shipped eggs, that's not to shabby.

Thanks for the advice. I plan to run it over the weekend before I order eggs just to make sure everything is okie dokie. I've been watching a seller on ebay that claims her birds are quite large, even all the non-traditional colored ones. I'd love to have multiple colors! She sells in 25 and 55 amounts, I think I'll order 25 from her on monday, and keep you guys posted on how the hatch goes!

Back
Top Bottom